ppiechota
Hi,
could anyone who owns latest Macbook Pro with M1 / M1 Pro / Max chip and uses Docker for local developement advise if latest enhancements to Docker Desktop - new experimental file sharing implementation called vistiofs) - really resolves the issue with its legendary bad performance on macos?
Speed boost achievement unlocked on Docker Desktop 4.6 for Mac - Docker
I’m planning to upgrade from my old machine and considering Macbook Pro 16 (M1 Pro) or Windows machine with WSL2 (Rog Flow x16 Ryzen 7 6800HS). WSL2 worked well with Docker for me so far but M1 chip is something I simply cannot ignore regarding performance and power efficiency.
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Xamal is a deployment tool for Elixir apps that deploys native releases to bare metal servers over SSH. It’s a port of GitHub - basecamp/...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
olivermt
I would rather have slow docker combined with all the other niceness of M1 than anything else
Fwiw the psql dockers seem to work well, but I dont use docker for development (as in running Elixir) though. I guess all the small codefiles is the main issue.
Wsl2 just fails so randomly and often It drove me crazy (and back to mac due to m1 after five years on windows).
Edit: I was even employed by Microsoft at the time I gave up on wsl2 as dev env
Just so its said, I have both employees and people I know who use wsl2 with no issue so it seems to be a bit random. I had a bug that killed the network stack all the time. Required rebooting the whole wsl stack, meaning losing all open terminals etc. Especially a problem on laptop as sleep made it worse, even when I restricted to only deep hibernate sleep.
c4710n
The off-topic note:
er-jpg
Hello,
I have a newer M1 Pro machine and the docker perfomance doesn’t seem bad, just normal. The only issues I’ve had I could solve changing the resources on the docker preferences. I’m running psql, redis and rabbitmq on it without any slowdowns.
That opinion could be biased because I’ve had a AMD FX-6300 for years running on Linux…
cjbottaro
I am also very interested in this. I have an M1 and have read about the new vistiofs… but I’m skeptical…
It should be known that OP is talking about bind mount performance, i.e. bind mounting your source dir into a container in order to do development. This has been absolutely horrible on OS X.
Normal Docker performance like running a datastore and communicating with it over network is totally fine.