ericlathrop
When I spin up a new project, I always want a dev environment with a database and test runner. I’ve had a set of files I’ve copied from project to project over the years, but it’s manual and error prone. I’ve finally gotten annoyed enough to create a mix task that sets it all up for you.
You install it with mix archive.install hex dockerize_elixir then you can run mix dockerize path/to/my_app to install all the docker stuff into your project. Then a docker compose up will start the whole thing.
It creates 3 containers:
- your app
- postgres
- your tests (
mix testormix test.watch, if installed)
Things it does for you:
- It configures ecto to connect to the
postgrescontainer instead oflocalhost. - It exposes port 4000 to your host machine, which is the default port for Phoenix. It also configures Phoenix to listen on 0.0.0.0, so you can actually access it.
- It makes a volume to share the code between your host machine and the containers.
- It makes volumes to isolate
_buildanddepsfolders from your host machine.
It also installs a few helper scripts:
bin/iexrunsiexinside theappcontainerbin/psqlrunspsqlinside thepostgrescontainerbin/rollbackrolls back the migration. Amigratescript is not necessary because it runs migrations when the container starts.
This should work for Phoenix apps, or vanilla elixir apps that use ecto.
Please give it a try and let me know how it works for you.
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 1- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
omattman
Just wanted to say thank you, @ericlathrop, for this guide. It helped me immensely, since I refuse to test anything without a basic Docker environment. Much appreciated!