Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

I am working on the MapDiff library, so it works better when structs are passed to it.

I wrote the following two doctests:

  iex> defmodule Foo do
  ...>  defstruct a: 1, b: 2, c: 3
  ...> end
  ...> MapDiff.diff(%Foo{}, %Foo{a: 3})
  %{changed: :map_change, struct_name: Foo,
    value: %{a: %{added: 3, changed: :primitive_change, removed: 1},
      b: %{changed: :equal, value: 2}, c: %{changed: :equal, value: 3}}}

and:

  iex> defmodule Bar do
  ...> defstruct a: 1, b: 2, c: 3
  ...> end
  ...> defmodule Baz do
  ...> defstruct a: "foo", b: "bar", z: "baz"
  ...> end
  ...> MapDiff.diff(%Bar{}, %Baz{})
  %{added: %Baz{a: "foo", b: "bar", z: "baz"}, changed: :primitive_change,
    removed: %Bar{a: 1, b: 2, c: 3}}

However, this will not compile. When running mix test, the following error is thrown:

Compiling 1 file (.ex)
** (CompileError) (for doctest at) lib/map_diff.ex:105: MapDiffTest.Foo.__struct__/1 is undefined, cannot expand struct MapDiffTest.Foo
    (stdlib) lists.erl:1354: :lists.mapfoldl/3
    test/map_diff_test.exs:3: anonymous fn/3 in :elixir_compiler_1.__MODULE__/1
    (elixir) lib/enum.ex:1755: Enum."-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-"/3
    test/map_diff_test.exs:3: (module)

I think that this is the case because Elixir tries to evaluate the outcome value decoupled from the example, which means that Foo, Bar and Baz (and their respective __struct__/1 implementations) are not in scope.

Now, how can these doctests be rewritten so:

  • they compile.
  • it is clear to people that Foo, Bar and Baz are normal structs they could define themselves?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

vic

vic

Asdf Core Team

I guess the best would be to define those example structs somewhere like in test/support then just add a comment about their structure on your docs (indent the code four spaces so that it gets properly highlighted as elixir code) and then just import them for doctest:

@doc """
   For example suppose you define the following structs:

     defmodule Bar do
       defstruct a: 1, b: 2, c: 3
     end

      defmodule Baz do
        defstruct a: "foo", b: "bar", z: "baz"
      end   
   

       iex> import Foo
       iex> import Bar
       iex> MapDiff.diff(%Foo{}, %Bar{})
       %{added: %Baz ....}
"""
Qqwy

Qqwy OP

TypeCheck Core Team

Yes! This solution works wonderfully :slight_smile: .

I ended up simply defining the structs in the tests/map_diff_test.exs file, inside the MapDiffTest module, before doctest MapDiff is being called, because it seemed the most clear (as long as the code does not become much longer.)

Thank you very much :blush:!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews