Doctests not executing after been wrapped by a plug_cowboy app

Hi,

I recently wrapped an Elixir app with a plug_cowboy endpoint. Everything is working fine, but when I do:

mix test

just the tests that I have defined in the plug_cowboy app are executed. I don’t get any errors, but the doctests that I have in the “pure” Elixir app are ignored.

It’s not a big deal as they still show in the documentation, but ideally I don’t want to repeat them at the plug_cowboy layer. Is there an easy way to get them executed by mix?

Just in case, my directory structure looks like this now:

cowboy_app_dir
  lib
    application.ex
    endpoint.ex
  pure_elixir_app_dir
    pure_elixir_app_logic.ex - Doctests here are being ignored by mix
  cowboy_app_test_dir
    cowboy_app_test.exs - All tests here being run by mix

Thanks in advance

Actually, I don’t have two apps defined in my mix.exs. I just changed the original Elixir app to be a module of the plug_cowboy endpoint. Perhaps that’s the issue? Will the doctests be executed if I defined two separate apps?

A single mix.exs file builds a single elixir application. If you want to have multiple applications within a single project you can use a mix umbrella project. Can you show your mix.exs file?

1 Like

When I do development like that I usually just run each of the apps tests individually. You could also write a small bash script that would run each test suite (or a makefile)

1 Like

Having two distinct applications a la PragDave has its advantages, but for the moment, I think I like the idea of the umbrella app. This is my current mix.exs

defmodule Estimator.MixProject do
  use Mix.Project

def project do
    [
      app: :estimator,
      version: "0.1.0",
      elixir: "~> 1.8",
      start_permanent: Mix.env() == :prod,
      deps: deps()
    ]
  end

# Run "mix help compile.app" to learn about applications.
  def application do
    [
      extra_applications: [:logger],
      mod: {Estimator.Application, []}
    ]
  end

# Run "mix help deps" to learn about dependencies.
  defp deps do
    [
      {:plug_cowboy, "~> 2.0"},
      {:jason, "~> 1.1"},
      {:csv, "~> 2.3"},
      {:ex_doc, "~> 0.19", only: :dev, runtime: false}
    ]
  end
end

Thank you

1 Like