tiagodavi

tiagodavi

I know this may sound like an weird question, but I recently applied to work as Elixir Developer for two different companies and they shared an Elixir Coding Challenge with me. Both challenges were quite good to solve and I really liked them.

My Feedback on both was “great”, but they found a “bug” and because of that they decided not to move forward at this time.. I am wondering if there’s a project in production completely free of bugs.. Is it normal to request challenges 100% free of bugs in Elixir?

I think companies are requesting too much of us developers. We need to know about databases, system design, scalability, algorithms, data structures, Apis, GraphQL, be able to get over Codility / Coderbyte, Technical Interviews, Coding Challenge, understand about Machine Learning / Artificial Intelligence, Elixir, Ruby and sometimes Node.JS JavaScript, React, Mobile applications and last but not least, We need to have good soft skills.

What is happening in our area? Companies think developers are robots or gods..

What is your opinion about this?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

lpil

lpil

Creator of Gleam

Not quite what you’re asking, but at Code Mesh 2018 there was a fantastic talk on eradicating exploitable bugs using formal verification. It makes me think that while today our code will have bugs, perhaps in the future we’ll have sufficiently advanced programming languages to make them a rarity. Well worth a watch! :slight_smile:

thojanssens1

thojanssens1

There’s not enough info and context to judge really.

Say they asked you to write some quick code on a white board, and there are a few bugs. I guess that’s ok, it’s just a draft.

Say they ask you to code something and you have no limit on time, or they allocate a lot of time, and you deliver the solution with bugs. That is a bit worrying, no? Sure bugs happen in production, but should be as rare as possible, and you deliver bugs on the first piece of code they ask you to produce.

Just applying common sense.

tiagodavi

tiagodavi OP

Yes I totally agree, but actually I am not completely sure they really found “bugs”.. RH told me that, but looking at the feedback it looks like it was an interpretation or communication issue. Maybe there are some bugs, maybe not.. the context was to read a task and then solve it according to my knowledge, but imagine you chose to use tuples instead of lists, chose decimal instead of floats, chose pagination instead of loading everything into memory.. then your recruiter tells you should load everything into memory, use floats, use lists.. etc Is this a BUG or you just made something in a different way? This is the problem.. I think recruiters should send the task, after you solving it, they should do a code review, then you fix everything they think are wrong and it will give them a complete “overview” on how you work in a normal development process. This is the regular way.. I don’t think a regular company asks something and the team solves everything from scratch without code review and 100% free of bugs.. this is a weird way to evaluate someone in my opinion.

sribe

sribe

Well, the worst part is that we don’t know whether you really wrote some bad bug-riddled code, or whether they evaluated your code poorly. I feel for you–I’m pretty sure that at least once I submitted a coding exercise that went WHOOSH right over the reviewer’s head :wink:

ityonemo

ityonemo

I just interviewed someone who I was certain was being “too clever” (did a look back instead of a lookahead, which the spec called for) but I couldn’t on the find the error my gut knew existed in their crazy convoluted python code.

To find the error I finally had to write a property test and test it against reference code I had written in elixir (offline, after the interview).

thojanssens1

thojanssens1

Maybe we can learn from that that any assumptions made must be first verified. First quickly validate the approach you take on the task with the reviewer, prior to coding.

Note that you mentioned clearly “bug” in your initial post, i.e. bugs in production and I do think there should not be bugs if you have enough time to solve the problem (otherwise what does it mean? that someone will need to review any code you produce in the company?) ; but now you rather talk about communication issues with the reviewer, and not bugs…

So that leaves me confused ; maybe the reviewer felt the same way.

tiagodavi

tiagodavi OP

I think every single piece of code deserves a “review” before going to production. But this is my opinion. I respect you think different. English is my second language. Maybe I had told something wrong. Sorry for that.

sribe

sribe

That certainly happens. Just to be clear though, in the case that I was referring to, my code was much simpler than what they had in mind, and much faster. Like I said, WHOOSH :wink:

God yes, no code should ever be put into production without being reviewed by another person! (Only exception being outages, after hours, when the code review might have to happen post-deployment.)

tiagodavi

tiagodavi OP

Yes. Totally agree.

thojanssens1

thojanssens1

Thank you, that is important to know. I also think that the review is then to make sure there are no bugs (there should be none, but it can happen rarely) going to production. For a junior you may expect to see a bug as soon as the FIRST piece of code submitted; but pretty sure the poster is not junior (with a quick look at his profile). While I now agree with you that there should be systematically reviews (and thank you for stressing that out), there should be no bugs found.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Discussions Top

cblavier
Hey there, It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
axelson
Hi there! :wave: @frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
achempion
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
budgie
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with. But I don’t use it anymore. Serverless was the promis...
New
jtormey
Lately I’ve been thinking about how to organize components as a LiveView application grows. One of the pain points I’ve found (for myself...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
webofbits
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself. My main conc...
#ai
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews