Fl4m3Ph03n1x
Background
Recently I found out aboubt mix xref, which according to my understanding analyses the code for unreachable paths and deprecated functions.
Questions
It looks really nice, but I have some questions:
- Isn’t this already part of the
mix compiletask that runs automatically every time you execute a non-compiled project? - In which scenarios do I have to manually run this command?
- Do you guys use it in your CIs ?
Please let me know your answers !
Trending in Discussions
Hey there,
It’s been more than a year since we started using LiveView as our main UI library and building a whole library of UI componen...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hi there! :wave:
@frigidcode and I (but mostly him) have been running an Elixir Book club, we’re almost done with Designing Elixir Syste...
New
I’ve been using Emacs as my main code editor for more than a two years. It’s a custom build version although I’ve tried doom emacs and sp...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
hauleth
mix xrefwas useful not only for finding unreachable code, it also supported looking for all callers or generating dependency graph of the application. So none of these functionalities was available during compilation.Fl4m3Ph03n1x
But do you use it on a daily basis?
NobbZ
Do you use
mix test --stale? If yes, you are usingmix xrefmore than you might know that you use it.Similar if you use the ElixirLS. It builds upon
xrefs result asas well.hauleth
Do you use
dbgmodule on daily basis? Do you usemix profile.*on daily basis? No, these tools have specific use cases, and when you need them you praise all J’s that decided that it should be part of the default release instead of spending X hours on searching solutions that will work.webuhu
I was using
mix xrefwithin CI.In detail:
mix xref unreachable --abort-if-anymix xref deprecated --abort-if-anyBut as with Elixir v1.10 these checks will move into the compiler.
I will use instead:
mix compile --warnings-as-errorsdimitarvp
I’m currently using
mix xref callers MyApp.Schema– a module namespace that contains all my DB (Ecto) code. I’m integrating it in a GIT pre-commit hook that checks which modules use that namespace because I only want certain modules to directly use DB code.So that’s one valid usage: you can enforce some limitations on your project at GIT pre-commit or CI server level. You can call it homemade linting.
Another very good usage is refactoring. When you move functions around – or rename them, or delete them – you want to minimise compilation or runtime errors so you first search who calls them and rework those as well along the way.
lawik
Saw the command thanks to the coming changes and ended up needing
mix xref callers MyModule.function/1to refactor things in a client project.