sezaru

sezaru

I have a component with a textarea input.

I noticed that if the text area has new lines in the start or end of its content and the component is re-rendered, it will remove these new lines.

When looking into the form structure, I noticed these fields:

%Phoenix.HTML.Form{
  source: #AshPhoenix.Form<
    ...
    params: %{"male_content" => "\n\nline\n\n"},
    source: #Ash.Changeset<
      attributes: %{
        ...
        male_content: "line",
        ...
      },
    >,
  ...
  params: %{"male_content" => "\n\nline\n\n"},
  ...
}

As you can see, the params field, both for Phoenix.HTML.Form and AshPhoenix.Form has the new lines correctly, but the Ash.Changeset doesn’t.

I’m guessing that when the re-render happens, the form will replace the textarea content with what is in the Ash.Changeset and remove the new lines.

Showing Posts 1 to 3

sodapopcan

sodapopcan

Are you using the textarea from CoreComponents? The docs call out that normalize_value does something around this. I’m not actually sure why this is necessary (of course not saying that it isn’t I just don’t know) and is something I’ve never encountered before. Probably a cross-platform thing? Would love to know myself!

sezaru

sezaru OP

Just found the issue, seems like strings are trimmed by default in Ash adding the following to the field fixed it:

attribute :male_content, :string do
  allow_nil? false
  constraints trim?: false
end
zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Yep! In ecto empty values are implemented at the changeset level Ecto.Changeset — Ecto v3.14.0

But in Ash the action/changeset has no bearing, only the type. It is up to the type whether or not an empty value (like "") should be transformed into nil. This does mean that additional work may need to be done in the form/action if you want to both allow nil values but turn empty ("") submissions from a form into nil, but I think generally simplifies things.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews