pinksynth

pinksynth

Hi all! First time posting, let me know if I can structure my question better.

I am using Ecto migrations on a project and need to add columns with non-NULL constraints to a table with existing data. My down simply removes the columns. My up adds the columns, uses default values to get placeholder data in the DB, flushes, and then uses Ecto.Migration.modify/3 to add the non-NULL constraints and remove the defaults. However, when I look at the table description in Postgres, I see not null default NULL::character varying. It looks like the database still behaves properly, but shouldn’t this modifier be gone entirely?

Here’s my migration’s up:

  def up do
    # Step 1. Add location fields with default values
    alter table(:campuses) do
      add :street_1, :string, default: "__INVALID_STREET"
      add :street_2, :string
      add :city, :string, default: "__INVALID_CITY"
      add :state, :string, size: 2, default: "ZZ"
      add :zip, :string, size: 16, default: "__INVALID_CITY"
      add :lon, :float, default: 0.0
      add :lat, :float, default: 0.0
    end

    # Step 2. Execute above commands.
    flush()

    # Step 3. Remove default option and add null constraint
    alter table(:campuses) do
      modify :street_1, :string, null: false, default: nil
      modify :street_2, :string
      modify :city, :string, null: false, default: nil
      modify :state, :string, size: 2, null: false, default: nil
      modify :zip, :string, size: 16, null: false, default: nil
      modify :lon, :float, null: false, default: nil
      modify :lat, :float, null: false, default: nil
    end
  end

Thanks all!

Showing Posts 1 to 6

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Have you tried simply removing the default: nil options and re-run the migration?

florish

florish

@pinksynth It’s been a while, but did you find a solution for this?

joddm

joddm

From Postgres documentation

To remove any default value, use:

ALTER TABLE products ALTER COLUMN price DROP DEFAULT;

This is effectively the same as setting the default to null. As a consequence, it is not an error to drop a default where one hadn’t been defined, because the default is implicitly the null value.

pinksynth

pinksynth OP

@florish Thanks for asking! It has been a long time, I do not recall what the solution was. In retrospect I embarrassingly don’t really understand the problem either :sweat_smile:. Perhaps there is some difference between “No default” and “Default: null”, but I don’t think that difference had any practical impact on the project or code. Thanks @joddm for the docs reference.

florish

florish

Yes, well, that’s a good question indeed. Out of curiosity, I’ve checked the PostgreSQL documentation, and it’s mostly a difference between an implicit NULL (which is the default if no DEFAULT is set in PostgreSQL) and an explicit NULL default value:

DEFAULT default_expr

The DEFAULT clause assigns a default data value for the column whose column definition it appears within. (…)

If there is no default for a column, then the default is null.

So practically no impact, the only difference is the presence / absence of an expliciet DEFAULT NULL statement in your CREATE TABLE SQL code.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

I can confirm that this worked for me in a migration. I needed to change the type of a column so I did the dance with making a new column, migrating the data from the old one to the new one but the new one had to allow a default value because the migration was multi-step and then when everything was done I made a migration to delete the old column and to remove the default value from the new column while still disallowing NULL / nil.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews