rapidfsub

rapidfsub

  policies do
    policy action_type(:read) do
      forbid_if expr(type(true, :boolean))
      authorize_if always()
    end
  end

I think forbid_if expr(type(true, :boolean)) is an inline filter policy,
so Ash.read!(ResourceModule) should return [],
but it raises an error.

** (Ash.Error.Forbidden) Forbidden Error

* forbidden
  (elixir 1.17.0) lib/process.ex:864: Process.info/2
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/error/forbidden/policy.ex:9: Ash.Error.Forbidden.Policy."exception (overridable 2)"/1
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/error/forbidden/policy.ex:28: Ash.Error.Forbidden.Policy.exception/1
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/policy/authorizer/authorizer.ex:1529: Ash.Policy.Authorizer.strict_check_result/2
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/policy/authorizer/authorizer.ex:617: Ash.Policy.Authorizer.strict_check/2
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/can.ex:412: anonymous fn/6 in Ash.Can.run_check/4
  (elixir 1.17.0) lib/enum.ex:4858: Enumerable.List.reduce/3
  (elixir 1.17.0) lib/enum.ex:2585: Enum.reduce_while/3
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/can.ex:409: Ash.Can.run_check/4
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/can.ex:118: Ash.Can.can/4
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash.ex:1283: Ash.can/3
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/actions/read/read.ex:1163: Ash.Actions.Read.authorize_query/2
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/actions/read/read.ex:365: Ash.Actions.Read.do_read/4
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/actions/read/read.ex:249: Ash.Actions.Read.do_run/3
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/actions/read/read.ex:66: anonymous fn/3 in Ash.Actions.Read.run/3
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/actions/read/read.ex:65: Ash.Actions.Read.run/3
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash.ex:1887: Ash.read/2
  (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash.ex:1846: Ash.read!/2
  (elixir 1.17.0) src/elixir.erl:386: :elixir.eval_external_handler/3
  (stdlib 6.0) erl_eval.erl:904: :erl_eval.do_apply/7
    (elixir 1.17.0) lib/process.ex:864: Process.info/2
    (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/error/forbidden.ex:3: Ash.Error.Forbidden.exception/1
    (ash 3.4.1) /Users/r4f3works/fireworks/r3world/deps/splode/lib/splode.ex:211: Ash.Error.to_class/2
    (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/error/error.ex:66: Ash.Error.to_error_class/2
    (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/actions/read/read.ex:340: anonymous fn/3 in Ash.Actions.Read.do_run/3
    (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/actions/read/read.ex:265: Ash.Actions.Read.do_run/3
    (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/actions/read/read.ex:66: anonymous fn/3 in Ash.Actions.Read.run/3
    (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash/actions/read/read.ex:65: Ash.Actions.Read.run/3
    (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash.ex:1887: Ash.read/2
    (ash 3.4.1) lib/ash.ex:1846: Ash.read!/2
    iex:6: (file)

Is this an intended behavior?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

:thinking: The primary issue here is that we are statically determining that the policy fails. A filter check will still raise an error if policies are statically false.

i.e forbid_if true is immediately incorrect, no queries must be made.

rapidfsub

rapidfsub OP

But I think the behavior of FilterPolicy should be predictable.
In some cases, raise error and in other cases, query and filter confuses me.

If I write a complex inline FilterPolicy,
something like expr(<statically determinable clause> and <dynamically determinable clause> and ...)
then this could be so hard to predict the result. @zachdaniel

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

…yes. You’re right. I’ll look into it.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

@rapidfsub I’ve pushed something up to main that should make this consistent with the only exception of

authorize_if expr(boolean)
# or
authorize_if boolean

which will still be a static failure.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Okay, so this is actually going to have to be opt-in behavior so as to be backwards compatible. On the new version of Ash, you’d say:

  config :ash, :policy, no_filter_static_forbidden_reads?: false
rapidfsub

rapidfsub OP

In the future (e.g. ash 4.0), this would be a default behaviour?

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

Yes, it would be :slight_smile:

rapidfsub

rapidfsub OP

Sorry for late feedback.
I was focused on other things.

Now I started to use config :ash, policies: [no_filter_static_forbidden_reads?: false].
And I found SimpleCheck also does not raise error in read action.

But I think only FilterCheck should not raise error,
and SimpleCheck “should” raise error.
If not, we can’t forbid read actions “at all”.

zachdaniel

zachdaniel

Creator of Ash

You can forbid read actions, the way you do it is by marking a policy as access_type :strict

rapidfsub

rapidfsub OP

Thanks. I should have read the updated policy docs.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews