chensan

chensan

I’m in China, we have this so-called great firewall blocking access to some sites.

So we employ some proxies to bypass it, like running

export http_proxy=ip:port;export https_proxy=ip:port

command under my terminal.

After doing that, I would expect HTTPoison to use the proxy ip:port, but obviously it’s not in my test, so I have to pass the proxy option myself:

HTTPoison.get! "https://sites-get-blocked.org", [], [{:proxy, "http://127.0.0.1:8888"}]

My question is, does it respect the system proxy setting? Anyone has a better way to handle a problem like this?

Showing Posts 1 to 8

NobbZ

NobbZ

Nope, neither HTTPoison nor HTTpotion, nor their underlying erlang libraries do that as far as a quick google turns out. But it should be easy to write a wrapper which looks up the environment variables and then appends the proxy option if it is not already there.

chensan

chensan OP

Yeah, this is what I do at last:

defmodule TelegramBot do
  use HTTPoison.Base

  @endpoint "https://api.telegram.org/bot"
  @token Application.get_env(:myflow, Telegram) |> Keyword.fetch!(:token)
  @proxy Application.get_env(:myflow, Telegram) |> Keyword.get(:proxy)

  def process_url(url) do
    @endpoint <> @token <> url
  end

  defp process_request_options(options) do
    if @proxy do Keyword.merge(options, [proxy: @proxy]) else options end
  end
end

When there’s proxy presented in dev.exs, pass it to HTTPoison.

NobbZ

NobbZ

Why don’t you use System.get_env/1?

chensan

chensan OP

Wow, I think it’s much better with System.get_env, thanks!

sriehl

sriehl

Be careful with using System.get_env/1. It will use the environment variables that are set when your app is compiled. It does not use the environment variables at runtime.

For more info: How to config environment variables with Elixir and Exrm « Plataformatec Blog

gregvaughn

gregvaughn

It’s not quite that simple. Well, now that I think about it, it might actually be even simpler than that. System.get_env/1 gets the environment variable at the moment it is executed. Full stop. There’s nothing special about this function doing different things at compile time or run time.

The challenge is understanding when it is executed. If used in a module attribute or macro, it gets executed at compile time. If used in a plain function, it gets executed at run time. If put in a config/*.exs file, it gets executed when mix executes. And this paragraph is true of any function. It’s nothing specific to System.get_env/1

NobbZ

NobbZ

We are not talking about using it in mix.exs or config/*.exs, we are talking about having it straight in the application. In a wrapper around another function call.

jackalcooper

jackalcooper

I think that was because you call it in Elixir’s config file which is consolidated at compile time.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews