Qqwy
TypeCheck Core Team
I was talking with someone about possibly using an in-memory database to make searching through the (±1.5 gigabyte of) data more efficient.
He asked me if I knew what impact the use of an in-memory database such as ETS would have on the startup (and therefore also restart) time of the application. I have not been able to find any information about this so far. Could someone explain to me what ETS does at startup and how much longer it will take your application to be fully started when you use it?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 6- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Neurofunk
I don’t have an answer, but keep in mind that ETS & DETS can’t store more than 2GB of data =)
dom
2GB is the limit for DETS, not ETS. ETS tables are essentially as large as you want on a 64-bit system.
Neurofunk
woops, indeed
Nicd
Just starting ETS and creating (reasonable amounts of) tables shouldn’t take any meaningful amount of time as far as I know. If you are importing lots of data to them at startup, you need to measure how long that takes.
benwilson512
I’m a bit confused by the question. ETS tables don’t survive application restart, so the size it is on shutdown doesn’t affect its size when you restart.
If you have some process for initializing the table then that is gonna be the relevant bit as I see it. You can do it sync or aync to your application boot process depending on whether it makes any sense to have stuff running on a partially initialized table.
Qqwy
Ah, I see. I did not realize that ETS tables are ephemeral (which of course makes a lot of sense).
So: Yes, the ETS table would need to be filled with data before the application could provide most of its functionalities, so it makes sense to do this during the boot process.
Maybe this whole question is somewhat nonsensical, as startup time is obviously something that only happens once, and therefore is much less important than per-request efficiency.