DidactMacros
This command seems to always fail
MIX_ENV=prod mix ecto.reset
The database for ContExp.Repo couldn't be dropped: ERROR 55006 (object_in_use) cannot drop the currently open database
I just tried this in the dev environment and it worked, I restarted the shell, and have no web pages running.
Is the production env itself keeping the db open in a way that prohibits dropping it?
It seems we are not supposed to drop dbs in prod, perhaps db configs are discarded between different product versions?
Would appreciate some light on this. I’ll also be reviewing the docs for clues.
EDIT: MIX_ENV=prod mix ecto.drop --force-drop also yields the same connection error (despite being used for the sake of ignoring connections).
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #ai
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
LostKobrakai
This is a postgres question not an ecto one. That error is postgres telling you that you cannot drop a db while other concurrent connections to the database exist. Stop those other connections and the drop should start working.
Though I’d argue that these kind of operations should generally not be done through mix commands in a production environment. Imo it’s better to use a limited user account with the application, preventing it doing any harmful operations on accident. One off tasks like deletion of a db then happen on the side using some admin credentials independently from the application.
DidactMacros
I don’t know if this is the right way to do it but
MIX_EVN=prod mix ecto.rollback --all
…is a quite sufficient compromise for me (perhaps not even a compromise at all)