jxxcarlson

jxxcarlson

I am sending binary data to Phoenix via a POST request. I need to download the received data to a file for further processing (untar, run pdflatex, send link back to the pdf file). How do I so the download?
the data comes in from an Elm client, The controller appears to accept the data – no errors – but I don’t see the data when I do IO.inspect params

Showing Posts 1 to 4

datadrover

datadrover

I might have misunderstood what you are trying to achieve. If you want to upload binary data to a file on the server, https://phoenixframework.org/blog/file-uploads might help. Remember to copy the data from the temporary location provided by Plug as shown in the example.

jxxcarlson

jxxcarlson OP

Yes, I’ve seen that post, but it seems to address a different problem, if I have understood it correctly (uploading a file from one’s computer using a form). I am sending binary data (a tar archive) by http from an Elm app to an Elixir/Phoenix app. The Elm app is sending a POST request with the binary data in the body. I have a dummy controller

def process(conn, params) do
    IO.inspect params, label: "params for 'process'"
    conn |> render("pdf.json", url: "OK")
end

that receives the data, From the IO.inspect params line, I know that the client and the server are talking to eachother. But the binary data is not in params. From what I’ve read, I think one has to use Plug.Parser, but I am too much of a noob at this point to know what to do.

I guess the real question is how to extract data from the POST request body,

What I need to do is store the binary data in a file, then process it.

Here is what I get on the Elixir side when I make a POST request from the client

[info] OPTIONS /api/print/pdf/harmonic_oscillator!!
[debug] Preflight CORS request from Origin 'http://localhost:8080' is allowed
[info] Sent 200 in 18ms
[info] POST /api/print/pdf/harmonic_oscillator!!
[debug] Simple CORS request from Origin 'http://localhost:8080' is allowed
[debug] Processing with Koko.Web.PrintController.process/2
  Parameters: %{"title" => "harmonic_oscillator!!"}
  Pipelines: [:api]
params for 'process': %{"title" => "harmonic_oscillator!!"}
[info] Sent 200 in 42ms

Here is the code on the client side that sends the POST request:

sendTarArchiveCmd : String -> List ( String, String ) -> List ( String, Bytes ) -> Cmd DocMsg
sendTarArchiveCmd url stringList dataList =
    let
        data =
            (List.map prepareData dataList) ++ (List.map prepareStringData stringList)

        archive : Bytes
        archive =
            Tar.encodeFiles data |> encode
    in
        Http.request
            { method = "Post"
            , headers = []
            , url = url
            , body = Http.bytesBody "application/tar" archive
            , expect = Http.expectString TexToPdf
            , timeout = Nothing
            , tracker = Nothing
            }
jxxcarlson

jxxcarlson OP

Some progress. I’ve added the line {:ok, body, conn} = Plug.Conn.read_body(conn) below

  def process(conn, params) do
    IO.inspect params, label: "params for 'process'"
    {:ok, body, conn} = Plug.Conn.read_body(conn)
    IO.inspect body, label: "BODY"
    conn |> render("pdf.json", url: "OK")
  end

Now I am seeing data:

[ debug] Processing with Koko.Web.PrintController.process/2
Parameters: %{“title” => “harmonic_oscillator!!”}
Pipelines: [:api]
params for ‘process’: %{“title” => “harmonic_oscillator!!”}
BODY: <<105, 109, 97, 103, 101, 47, 109, 97, 115, 115, 95, 115, 112, 114, 105, 110,
103, 45, 102, 100, 97, 99, 46, 112, 110, 103, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,
0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, …>>
[info] Sent 200 in 7ms

jxxcarlson

jxxcarlson OP

OK, its saving the POSTed data to file now:

  def process(conn, params) do
    IO.inspect params, label: "params for 'process'"
    {:ok, body, conn} = Plug.Conn.read_body(conn)
    IO.inspect body, label: "BODY"
    {:ok, file} = File.open "tarfileXXX.tar", [:write]
    IO.binwrite file, body
    File.close file  
    conn |> render("pdf.json", url: "OK")
  end

More work to do, but this was the blocker

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews