silverdr

silverdr

Apparently in Elixir the most direct (in the “dependencies-free” sense) way of downloading remote file is to use

At least I haven’t found anything else so far. That seems OK as the task at hand is nothing complex. Just GET a remote file over http(s) and save it to a local one:

:httpc.request(:get, {'https://my.file.server.net/filename', []}, [timeout: 5000], [stream: 'local_file'])

seems to do the job, but:

  • file is “binary” (in the general, not Elixir meaning) yet I see no difference between body_format: :binary and the default (string). Is there any?

  • more importantly I can’t fathom how to make the downloaded file overwrite existing one at the local destination path. New file gets appended to the existing one instead of overwriting it. Is there any Erlang voodoo I am missing here or do I have to handle this myself?

  • and the most important question is: is there a way to limit the response size. I mean it’s great that I can limit the time of the request (timeout) so that this doesn’t hang there forever but what if for some reason I get the output of /dev/zero for example instead of what I am expecting. IOW I don’t would like to store files only up to certain length (byte count). Any clues?

Showing Posts 1 to 1

silverdr

silverdr OP

There’s also:

which seems to be doing almost all that’d be needed in my case but it’s a few more dependencies pulled for something that feels like it should be much simpler

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews