sezaru

sezaru

I have a controller that will generate a zip file on-demand and send that to the user using Conn.chunk/2:

defmodule CoreWeb.Export.AppointmentImagesController do
  @moduledoc false

  alias Core.Marketplace.Ap.AppointmentEvent

  use CoreWeb, :controller

  def index(conn, %{"appointment_id" => appointment_id} = _params) do
    %{current_user: actor} = conn.assigns

    case Ash.get(AppointmentEvent, %{id: appointment_id}, actor: actor) do
      {:ok, appointment} ->
        IO.puts("generating stream")

        stream = image_as_zip_stream!(appointment)

        IO.puts("start download")

        conn =
          conn
          |> put_resp_content_type("application/zip")
          |> put_resp_header("content-disposition", ~s[attachment; filename="#{appointment_id}.zip"])
          |> send_chunked(:ok)

        IO.puts("start sending chunks")

        stream
        |> Stream.each(fn results ->
            case Plug.Conn.chunk(conn, results) do
              {:ok, _} -> IO.puts("got here!!!")
              {:error, error} -> dbg(error)
            end
          end)
        |> Stream.run()

        IO.puts("DONE!!!")

        conn

      {:error, _} ->
        conn
        |> put_status(500)
        |> json(%{error: "Failed to generete the zip file, try again later."})
    end
  end

  defp image_as_zip_stream!(appointment) do
    appointment
    |> Map.fetch!(:event_json)
    |> Map.fetch!("synced")
    |> Enum.with_index()
    |> Enum.map(fn {%{"s3Url" => url}, index} ->
      [bucket, path] = url |> URI.parse() |> Map.fetch!(:path) |> String.split("/", parts: 2, trim: true)

      bucket
      |> ExAws.S3.download_file(path, "#{index}.jpg")
      |> ExAws.stream!()
      |> then(& Zstream.entry("#{index}.jpg", &1))
    end)
    |> Zstream.zip()
  end
end

When I request this from chrome, the download will start and it will show the download as resuming:

When the download is around 200mb, the download will fail and I will get a Network Error in chrome:

I will not get any error message in the backend, it will just stop sending chunks:

Showing Posts 1 to 1

alexandre

alexandre

This is an example with Mint.
This is an example with Finch.

But my recommendation nowadays is to just use Req response streaming to a collectable, by @wojtekmach: Req — req v0.6.2

iex> resp = Req.get!("http://httpbin.org/stream/2", into: IO.stream())
# output: {"url": "http://httpbin.org/stream/2", ...}
# output: {"url": "http://httpbin.org/stream/2", ...}
iex> resp.status
200
iex> resp.body
%IO.Stream{}
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews