codestorm1
How can I drive a servo motor on the BeagleBone Blue using Nerves?
Do I need to add a device tree overlay for PWM support in a custom Nerves system?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 3- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
amclain
There are premade BeagleBone device tree overlays are located in
/lib/firmware, and there is likely one for PWM. This means you don’t have to create a custom Nerves system unless you want to. The overlay can be applied at runtime with the BeagleBoneconfig-pinutility (see this elixir wrapper), or applied to the Nerves system by adding the overlay to provisioning.conf.The easiest way to drive servos is to use an I2C servo controller. That way you could use circuits_i2c.
codestorm1
Thanks for the reply.
I have a PCA9685-based Adafruit 815 that I decided to try.
I found hex package pca9685, and was able to get my motor working using it.
I was using a RPi4 when I got it working.
I was also able to get it to work using a BeagleBone Black.
I want to get it working on a BeagleBone Blue.
I believe the Blue is basically a BB Black with an integrated robotics cape, which has a 12V power supply, and is able to drive motors without running external power.
I soldered a JST SH 1.0-4 Pin connector to the Adafruit servo driver board.
I did the same with a spare servo driver board as well.
I tried these commands:
The response is:
{:error, :i2c_nak}Could the Blue need some adjustments to the device tree configurations? The I2C initialization?
I might test running debian/raspbian on the Blue to see if I can get i2c communiate.
Thanks
codestorm1
I’m trying the PWM approach at the moment.
Running it on the Blue would be ideal a single power source can power the board and the motor. Plus it has 8 servo outputs on the board.
I went down some rabbit holes with AI, but have not been able to get anything to show up under /sys/class/pwm/
I see the following under /lib/firmware that look helpful
BB-PWM0-00A0.dtbo
am33xx_pwm-00A0.dtbo
BB-PWM1-00A0.dtbo
BB-PWM2-00A0.dtbo
PB-PWM-TIMER-P1.20.dtbo
PB-PWM-TIMER-P1.26.dtbo
PB-PWM-TIMER-P1.28.dtbo
PB-PWM-TIMER-P2.27.dtbo
PB-PWM-TIMER-P2.31.dtbo