acalinica
Hi all,
I’m having a problem which I cannot manage to solve on my own with phoenix channels. Specifically about channels with dynamic topics.
Given that I have the following channel setup:
channel "organization:*", TestWeb.OrganizationChannel
I want to connect on different channels based on dynamic ids passed as topics from the client. Based on a solution I found on an older post I did the following bit:
@impl true
def join(
"organization:" <> organization_id,
params,
socket
) do
# some logic here
Logger.debug("ORG ID -> ", organization_id)
send(self(), :after_join)
{:ok, socket}
end
Everytime I connect to this channel with a topic string that looks like organization:4f1665fa-05d2-450a-bfbd-d105ebb00ede I receive the following error:
** (Protocol.UndefinedError) protocol Enumerable not implemented for "4f1665fa-05d2-450a-bfbd-d105ebb00ede" of type BitString
If I just run in iex “organization:” <> id = “organization:123”, the pattern matches ok. What am I missing here? Is there something special with the join handler?
Thanks in advance and I’m happy to join your community.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
benwilson512
Hey @acalinica the issue relatively straightforwardly is your
Logger.debugcall. Logger — Logger v1.20.2 The arguments toLogger.debugaremsgandoptsso you’re passing inorganization_idwhere it expects options.To fix simply:
For me personally when I’m just doing this sort of development logging I just use Kernel — Elixir v1.20.2 so you can just
dbg(organization_id)dimitarvp
You beat me by 10 seconds. Kudos. Or I am getting old.
acalinica
Wow, Logger was probably the last place to look in. Thanks for the quick answers. I wish I had asked this 8 hours ago.
dimitarvp
Did you not have “file_name.ex:1234” at the left? I.e. a code location where the error is?
acalinica
Now that you’re saying, I see that the error indicates the line number of the Logger.