tanweerdev
I have a json/map field in database which can actually holds 3 kinds of objects based on type field define in table
so structure is like this
field(:type, :string) => user/player/admin
field(:object, :map) => embedded schema needed here. and it can be any of the three schemas ie user/admin/player
So is this possible I can have the flexibility of mysql and beauty/support of Ecto embeds.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mathieuprog
Check out this library:
https://github.com/mathieuprog/polymorphic_embed
tanweerdev
Seems nice. But how to change to specific embedded schema based on
field type(please check my structure above) in the actual table/schema. This library can deduct embeds type based on the given fields which can lead to issues. what if FE sends data in wrong format and these params werent even present. we should be able to tell them errors just based on type(which will be always present)mathieuprog
The library knows which embed to use based on a type field (
"__type__"or:__type__param); this is documented in the readme file. It can also deduct the type based on the presence of data, but that is optional.tanweerdev
This
:__type__should be inside json object field?mathieuprog
That’s one way to achieve it. If the frontend calls the same service for handling different kind of data, then it makes sense that it is included by the frontend. Otherwise you may also pick the right embed on the server.
Note also that it is hard or probably impossible to have the structure that you have shown, i.e. have the type stored only in a separate field. That’s because when using a custom Ecto Type for the field (storing the dynamic embed), you do not have access to the other fields of the schema. So for example, if you want to load the data from the DB, in order to load the right embed struct you really need to have that type field living with your data.