valyukov

valyukov

Hi there,

How I can build queries with dynamic fields assignment in Ecto?
I try to do next thing:

import Ecto.Query
field = :id
value = 1

from(o in Order, where: o[field] != ^value)

** (Ecto.Query.CompileError) `o[field]` is not a valid query expression
    (ecto) expanding macro: Ecto.Query.where/3
           iex:6: (file)
    (ecto) expanding macro: Ecto.Query.from/2
           iex:6: (file)

how you can see it doesn’t work, but who cares? keyword syntax allow to do next things:

from(o in Order, where: ^[{field, value}])

and this works fine, but only for simple cases, it doesn’t allow neglect syntax (!=), like, is not, etc.

I don’t give up, and try to apply some metaprogramming magic:

(quote do: unquote(Order) |> where([q], q.unquote(field) == ^unquote(var!(value)))) |> Code.eval_quoted |> elem(0)

And it works perfect, however I need to make join with dynamic association, the next example throw exception and I have no idea how to solve it:

assoc = :transaction

(quote do: unquote(Order |> Ecto.Queryable.to_query) |> join(:inner, [r], l in assoc(r, unquote(var!(assoc)))) |> where([r, l], l.unquote(field) == ^unquote(var!(value)))) 
|> Code.eval_quoted 
|> elem(0)
** (CompileError) nofile: invalid quoted expression: #Ecto.Query<from o in Store.Order>
      (ecto) expanding macro: Ecto.Query.where/3
             nofile:1: (file)
    (elixir) expanding macro: Kernel.|>/2
             nofile:1: (file)

but if I quote module all works fine

how we see there is only one problem that join macros throw error when I try to pass Ecto.Query struct to it. Next snippet works well, but in my app I would like to pass exactly Ecto.Query to join.

assoc = :transaction

(quote do: unquote(Order) |> join(:inner, [r], l in assoc(r, unquote(var!(assoc)))) |> where([r, l], l.unquote(field) == ^unquote(var!(value)))) 
|> Code.eval_quoted 
|> elem(0)

Schemes:

defmodule Order do
  use Ecto.Schema
  schema "orders" do
    has_one :transaction, Transaction
  end
end

defmodule Transaction do
  use Ecto.Schema

  schema "transactions" do
    belongs_to :order, Order
  end
end

Data:
orders: [{id: 1}, {id: 2}]
transactions: [{id: 1, order_id: 1}, {id: 2, order_id: 2}]

Showing Posts 1 to 3

Linuus

Linuus

To use dynamic fields you can use the field macro.

thing = :points
from a in Foo, where: field(a, ^thing) > 8
19
Post #1
valyukov

valyukov OP

It works perfect! Thank you!

mosiac05

mosiac05

Thanks, works fine.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews