Menkir

Menkir

Hi guys,
I’d like to talk about my attempt to build a plugin mechanism for LiveComponents. My goal is to build a WebApp that goes through a LiveView and consists of several LiveComponents.

The LiveComponents are rendered in dependence of live_actions. Since the routes for the live_actions are defined at runtime, the router has to be recompiled as soon as a new plugin is added or triggered. Currently I use a /plugin folder within the project. To save the compiled modules I use an ETS cache. The plugins implement a behaviour so that the system can be completely agnostic and only renders what corresponds to the behaviour.

The router looks like this:

  scope "/", TestWeb do
    pipe_through :browser

    live "/", TestLive, :index
    live "/error", TestLive, :error

    for plugin <- TestWeb.PluginController.get_actions() do
      live "/#{plugin}", TestLive, plugin
    end

    get "/recompile", PluginController, :recompile
  end

What is currently still a stumbling block is the source code in the /plugins folder. This should not be left lying around forever, but should be compiled once and then load the beam files as needed (restart).

How do you find this method? Since Elixir is a language that has to be compiled first, this approach seems very clumsy to me. Maybe it could be done better. Criticism and suggestions for improvement are welcome :slight_smile:

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews