Dynamic pattern matching of binaries in function heads?

Do binary patterns declared in function heads have to have static sizes? It appears to be the case, but I can’t find documentation one way or the other.

More concretely, it is possible to match a binary with a “#” as the third byte like this:

def foo(<<header::binary-size(2), "#", rest::binary>>), do: something()

But this attempt to make the size of the header dynamic results in an error:

def foo(<<header::binary-size(n), "#", rest::binary>>, n), do: something()

** (CompileError) iex:46: undefined variable "n"

Interestingly, flipping the order of the arguments to the function results in a slightly different error:

def foo(n, <<header::binary-size(n), "#", rest::binary>>), do: something()

** (CompileError) iex:46: undefined variable "n" in bitstring segment. If the size of the binary is a variable, the variable must be defined prior to its use in the binary/bitstring match itself, or outside the pattern match

That error message makes it seem like what I’m trying to do is not possible, but maybe I’m just missing something?

2 Likes

If the size itself precedes the binary data and can be decoded using bitsyntax, this can be done (assuming size is a one-byte unsigned integer):

def foo(<<n::integer, header::binary-size(n), "#", rest::binary>>), do: something()

But not much else beyond leveraging other encodings (bitsize, endianness) of the size prefix, unfortunately.

2 Likes

E.g. in a shell:

# <<n::integer, data::binary-size(n), "#", rest::binary>> = <<5, "hello#rest">>
<<5, 104, 101, 108, 108, 111, 35, 114, 101, 115, 116>>

# n

# data
"hello"

# rest
"rest"
1 Like

Thanks, that’s a clear explanation.

I assume this constraint is somehow related to the details of compiling function heads? Because inside of a function, I can pass a variable to the size macro:

def foo(str, n) do
  case str do
    <<header::binary-size(n), "#", rest::binary>> -> something()
  end
end

Exactly :slight_smile:

So you can just prepend the value to the binary and then it would work?

But would that have a much higher cost than doing the same with lists? Is a new full binary allocated in memory?

So you can just prepend the value to the binary and then it would work?

I definitely would not recommend this, since it will require a new binary to be allocated, as you rightly suggest.

Even if the binaries involved are expected to be small, it seems hard to justify the performance hit for such a tiny spoon of syntactic sugar.

1 Like