bschmeck

bschmeck

Do binary patterns declared in function heads have to have static sizes? It appears to be the case, but I can’t find documentation one way or the other.

More concretely, it is possible to match a binary with a “#” as the third byte like this:

def foo(<<header::binary-size(2), "#", rest::binary>>), do: something()

But this attempt to make the size of the header dynamic results in an error:

def foo(<<header::binary-size(n), "#", rest::binary>>, n), do: something()

** (CompileError) iex:46: undefined variable "n"

Interestingly, flipping the order of the arguments to the function results in a slightly different error:

def foo(n, <<header::binary-size(n), "#", rest::binary>>), do: something()

** (CompileError) iex:46: undefined variable "n" in bitstring segment. If the size of the binary is a variable, the variable must be defined prior to its use in the binary/bitstring match itself, or outside the pattern match

That error message makes it seem like what I’m trying to do is not possible, but maybe I’m just missing something?

Showing Posts 1 to 7

g-andrade

g-andrade

If the size itself precedes the binary data and can be decoded using bitsyntax, this can be done (assuming size is a one-byte unsigned integer):

def foo(<<n::integer, header::binary-size(n), "#", rest::binary>>), do: something()

But not much else beyond leveraging other encodings (bitsize, endianness) of the size prefix, unfortunately.

g-andrade

g-andrade

E.g. in a shell:

# <<n::integer, data::binary-size(n), "#", rest::binary>> = <<5, "hello#rest">>
<<5, 104, 101, 108, 108, 111, 35, 114, 101, 115, 116>>

# n
5

# data
"hello"

# rest
"rest"
bschmeck

bschmeck OP

Thanks, that’s a clear explanation.

I assume this constraint is somehow related to the details of compiling function heads? Because inside of a function, I can pass a variable to the size macro:

def foo(str, n) do
  case str do
    <<header::binary-size(n), "#", rest::binary>> -> something()
  end
end
g-andrade

g-andrade

Exactly :slight_smile:

lud

lud

So you can just prepend the value to the binary and then it would work?

But would that have a much higher cost than doing the same with lists? Is a new full binary allocated in memory?

g-andrade

g-andrade

So you can just prepend the value to the binary and then it would work?

I definitely would not recommend this, since it will require a new binary to be allocated, as you rightly suggest.

Even if the binaries involved are expected to be small, it seems hard to justify the performance hit for such a tiny spoon of syntactic sugar.

Adzz

Adzz

You could achieve what you want by having a function that removes the head of the binary until it sees the character you care about, counting how many it removes. Then apply the conditional logic.


def foo(string) do
  if parse_until(string, "#", 0) == 3 do
    something()
  else
    raise "hell"
  end
end

def parse_until(<<char::binary-size(1), rest::binary>>, char, previous_character_count) do
  previous_character_count
end
def parse_until(<<_head::binary-size(1), rest::binary>>, char, previous_character_count) do
  parse_until(rest, char, previous_character_count + 1)
end

This works because in Elixir if you use the same variable name for two different variables in a function head Elixir will try to match them and will only enter the function body if they are the same.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews