CharlesO

CharlesO

Is it possible to have Elixir modules compiled and loaded at run time dynamically?

For example, say I have Elixir modules with custom logic for specific customers.

I need to load / call functions from these modules at runtime based on inbound requests.

What i have tried:

  1. define a path for ALL custom modules in Application.start

Code.append_path(Application.get_env(:bothost, :modules))

  1. check if a given module is loaded; if not, compile/ load it, then call an expected entry point function on the module:

    defp process([{, %BotHost.BotInfo{module: module} = bot}], req) when module == nil, do: BotHost.Processor.process(bot, req) # use generic processor
    defp process([{
    , %BotHost.BotInfo{module: module} = bot}], req) do
    case Code.ensure_compiled(module) do
    {:module, _module} → apply(module, :process, [bot, req])
    {:error, err} → log “load failed: #{module} #{err}” ; BotHost.Processor.process(bot, req) # unable to load custom processor, use generic processor instead
    end
    end

Please can we use the functions from the “Code” module for this purpose?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

bryanjos

bryanjos

Maybe Code.require_file or Kernel.ParallelCompiler.files will do what you need?

CharlesO

CharlesO OP

Thanks for the reply. I’ll keep investigating the options.

Right now i’m looking at this:

to understand what others have tried. Unfortunately there seems to be very little information on what i’m trying to do out there

CharlesO

CharlesO OP

Your suggestion of Code.require_file/2 works.

  defp process([{_, %BotHost.BotInfo{module: module} = bot}], req) when module == nil, do: BotHost.Processor.process(bot, req) # use generic processor
  defp process([{_, %BotHost.BotInfo{module: module, module_file: file} = bot}], req) do
    case Code.require_file(file, "modules") do
      nil -> apply(module, :process, [bot, req])
      [{module,  _}] -> apply(module, :process, [bot, req])
      err -> log "load failed: #{module} - #{inspect err}" ; BotHost.Processor.process(bot, req) # unable to load bot-specific module, use generic processor instead
    end
  end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews