brucepomeroy

brucepomeroy

In the phoenix router I want to define a plug for a pipeline. I want to use a different implementation of the plug module in the test environment so I have defined the plug in compile.exs and overridden it in test.exs. So the plug can be determined at compile time. Note that we have a requirement not to generate any compiler warnings.

# in config.exs
config :myapp_web, :access_session_plug, MyApp.Plug.AccessSession
# in test.exs
config :myapp_web, :access_session_plug, MyApp.Plug.DummyAccessSession

Now I want to add the plug to a pipeline in the router…

1st try:

pipeline :user_web do
  plug(Application.get_env(:my_app_web, :access_session_plug))
end

The above gives a warning Application.get_env/2 is discouraged in the module body, use Application.compile_env/3 instead

2nd try:

pipeline :user_web do
  plug(Application.compile_env(:my_app_web, :access_session_plug))
end

The above triggers the error Application.compile_env/3 cannot be called inside functions, only in the module body

3rd try:

def access_session_plug do
  # Tried get_env and compile_env with the same result
  Application.compile_env(:my_app_web, :access_session_plug)
end

pipeline :user_web do
  plug(access_session_plug())
end

The above fails because the function hasn’t been defined when the plug macro runs error: undefined function access_session_plug/0 (there is no such import).

4th try:

@access_session_plug Application.compile_env(:my_app_web, :access_session_plug)
# OR:
# @access_session_plug MyApp.Plug.DummyAccessSession
pipeline :user_web do
  plug(@access_session_plug)
end

The above fails with the warning: undefined module attribute @access_session_plug, please remove access to @access_session_plug or explicitly set it before access suggesting that the module attribute hasn’t been initialized when the plug macro runs.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Showing Posts 1 to 2

thiagomajesk

thiagomajesk

What if you try to create a single DynamicAccessSession plug module; and register the “handler” in your configuration instead?

config :myapp_web, :access_session_handler, MyApp.TestHandler

Something like this should work, no!?

defmodule DynamicAccessSession do
  def call(conn) do
    handler = Application.get_env(:my_app_web, :access_session_handler)
    handler.handle(conn)
  end
end
brucepomeroy

brucepomeroy OP

That works great thanks @thiagomajesk ! Problem solved :grinning: . I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out with that. Have a great day.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews