beepboop
DynamicSupervisor traps exit signals and handles ones coming from its children:
However, it also implicitly ignores exit signals from non-child processes: elixir/lib/elixir/lib/dynamic_supervisor.ex at 427d21e410d1846c232d0a0b0e87cce629884dfa · elixir-lang/elixir · GitHub
Does anyone know - is it an intentional design decision?
I’m trying to link it to a process that’s not its direct parent/child, so it would exit when the other process exits, but of course at the moment it doesn’t work. I don’t care so much about my use-case per-se (I can figure out a solution), but I’m in general wondering if there’s a good reason for how DynamicSupervisor is implemented - i.e. maybe I’m doing something that goes against first principles?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 4- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
beepboop
It’s not exclusive to DynamicSupervisor it seems - also happens with Supervisor.
hauleth
If that process is not direct parent/child then why it is linked to supervisor?
beepboop
Ultimately I’m interested in shutting down the supervisor when that process exits. And vice versa - I want the process to shut down when the supervisor exits.
Establishing a link between them would’ve been the easiest option.
hauleth
Make that proces being supervised by that supervisor instead, and then make it
:significant(though I do not know ifDynamicSupervisorsupports that, but if that process is known to be there, then why it is part ofDynamicSupervisor?).