iacobson
ECSpanse

Ecspanse is an Entity Component System (ECS) framework for Elixir.
Ecspanse is not a game engine, but a flexible foundation for managing state and building logic, with features like:
- flexible queries with multiple filters
- dynamic bidirectional relationships
- versatile tagging capabilities
- component templates
- system event subscriptions
- asynchronous system execution
Docs: Ecspanse — ECSpanse v0.10.1
GitHub: GitHub - iacobson/ecspanse: Entity Component System (ECS) library for Elixir, offering a suite of features including: flexible queries with multiple filters, dynamic bidirectional relationships, versatile tagging capabilities, system event subscriptions, or asynchronous system execution. · GitHub
Article: https://iacobson.medium.com/elixir-for-fun-ecspanse-2852a7993ecd
Podcast: ECS / Game Development with Elixir vs. Python, JavaScript, React with Dorian Iacobescu & Daniel Luu | SmartLogic
Trending in Announcing
WebAuthnLiveComponent WebAuthnComponents
See this post about renaming the package.
Passwordless authentication for Phoenix LiveView app...
New
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I released Doggo, a collection of unstyled Phoenix components.
https://github.com/woylie/doggo
Features
Unstyled Phoenix components....
New
Hi everyone,
I’ve been working on this protobuf library for 3 years. We use it in the company I work for, EasyMile, to communicate with ...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
I’ll shortly be launching Text, a nascent text analysis library.
Current functionality
In this early version (not ready for prime time) ...
New
Other Trending Topics
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
With AI doing more of the implementation work, I’ve been wondering how much coding I should deliberately keep doing myself.
My main conc...
New
I love Elixir. It’s one of 2 programming languages I’ve ever fallen in love with.
But I don’t use it anymore.
Serverless was the promis...
New
Hey folks,
I just published a post about Hologram’s funding and where the project goes next - the short version:
Curiosum as Main Spons...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
iacobson
New release v0.2.0
Introduces Component and Event Templates for simplifying the creation of related components and events.
Adds a new query
Ecspanse.Query.fetch_tagged_component/2that returns an entity’s component by a list of tags. Attention, it is the logic implementation duty to ensure that no more than one component is returned, or it will raise an error.Introduces also some small breaking changes: the Timer Component and Event are now Templates.
use Ecspanse.Component.Timeranduse Ecspanse.Event.Timershould be replaced withuse Ecspanse.Template.Component.Timeranduse Ecspanse.Template.Event.Timer.D4no0
I don’t understand from reading the documentation and the article, what do you mean it’s not a game engine?
What kind of problems it actually solves, like realtime synchronization?
kokolegorille
You might find information about ECS here…
While it’s new in OOP video game, it’s kind of natural in FP
iacobson
Ecspanse is a state management library. It also runs the “game loop” and offers some built-in functionality like timers.
what I mean by “it’s not a game engine” is that has no functionality for rendering, controls/input, physics, assets, GUI, etc. So you will need to combine it with some other technology if you want to build anything user-facing.
kokolegorille
Thank You for your lib, I am going to try it for some games that I have in mind
iacobson
When you will have a working prototype, please paste it here. I’m extremely curious about what kind of games people think to build with Elixir.
kokolegorille
Will do… currently I am thinking of using React and Three, or Three fiber for the front end and controls, Phoenix for socket and clients communication, and ECS for managing game state.
But it might take some time
D4no0
Is it though? are we talking about the concepts used behind unity engine?
kokolegorille
Yes, exactly, that’s how they could achieve a demo called something like 1000 cities… I don’t remember the name, but the demo I do
D4no0
Isn’t that just a basically just a change from inheritance to composition? I mean that’s nice, however I don’t think erlang VM can fit in this theme by design,