hyperoceanic

hyperoceanic

Had a great day or so coding against the EXSx framework - love the
Systems model to divide up the work. I’m having a bit of a moment with Component.search returning Components that I’m certain I’ve already removed. I’ve extracted the code into its own method, below.

  def get_live_assignments(worker_id) do
    dbg AssignmentWorker.search(worker_id)
    |> Enum.filter(&AssignmentWorker.exists?(&1) )
  end

I would expect search to not return records that would fail the exists? test, but that’s not what I’m seeing.

First - before removing any assignments:

[lib/taiichi/systems/worker_assignment_balancer.ex:14: Taiichi.Systems.WorkerAssignmentBalancer.get_live_assignments/1]
AssignmentWorker.search(worker_id) #=> ["9205100f-1308-4671-b8ea-a1601fc9275c", "a1399542-8bd1-4470-8892-4d4981a9a6b4"]
|> Enum.filter(&AssignmentWorker.exists?(&1)) #=> ["9205100f-1308-4671-b8ea-a1601fc9275c", "a1399542-8bd1-4470-8892-4d4981a9a6b4"]

All is good - the exists? filter returns both records returned by search. However, when I remove one of the assignments (in another System), there’s a mismatch:

[lib/taiichi/systems/worker_assignment_balancer.ex:14: Taiichi.Systems.WorkerAssignmentBalancer.get_live_assignments/1]
AssignmentWorker.search(worker_id) #=> ["9205100f-1308-4671-b8ea-a1601fc9275c", "a1399542-8bd1-4470-8892-4d4981a9a6b4"]
|> Enum.filter(&AssignmentWorker.exists?(&1)) #=> ["a1399542-8bd1-4470-8892-4d4981a9a6b4"]

Search is returning two records, while only one exists.

Here’s the definition for the Component, for reference:

defmodule Taiichi.Components.AssignmentWorker do
  @moduledoc """
  Tracks the worker who is on the assignment.
  key = assignment_id, value = worker_id.
  """
  use ECSx.Component,
    value: :binary,
    index: true
end

Besides that, I love the clarity and productivity that elixir and ECSx are bringing. I’ve built something where I can assign many people to a task, have them contribute to getting the work on the task done according to their own productivity, balance their assignments across many tasks and unassign them from completed tasks in just a few lines of code.

Any thoughts? I can always pipe calls to search into exists? but I’m worried I’m missing something obvious.

Showing Posts 1 to 5

APB9785

APB9785

Creator of ECSx

Hi again Mark, thanks for the kind words. Very happy to hear about your experience with Elixir + ECSx.

The issue you’re seeing appears to be a bug with ECSx.Component :index feature. Should be a simple fix, but just to confirm, could you try the same steps again but with index: false on that component?

hyperoceanic

hyperoceanic OP

Hi Andy - yes that solved it!

[lib/taiichi/systems/worker_assignment_balancer.ex:14: Taiichi.Systems.WorkerAssignmentBalancer.get_live_assignments/1]
AssignmentWorker.search(worker_id) #=> []
|> Enum.filter(&AssignmentWorker.exists?(&1)) #=> []
APB9785

APB9785

Creator of ECSx

Thanks for testing! I see the issue and should have the fix done later today or tomorrow.

APB9785

APB9785

Creator of ECSx

@hyperoceanic I just released v0.5.2 with the fix for this issue. Thanks for reporting it!

hyperoceanic

hyperoceanic OP

Many thanks, @APB9785!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
georgeguimaraes
Just published claude-code-elixir, a plugin marketplace for Claude Code with Elixir support. These are the plugins I’ve been using for my...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews