wfgilman

wfgilman

I’m having trouble understanding the difference between cast_assoc, assoc_constraint and foreign_key_constraint in a changeset. More specifically, I don’t seem to understand when you should build your associations explicitly (by putting foreign keys) versus letting Ecto build them with associations.

I have a schema like this:

schema "institution_codes" do # InstitutionCode
  field :code, :string
  belongs_to :source, Source
  belongs_to :institution, Institution
end

def changeset(struct, params \\ %{}) do
  struct
  |> cast(params, [:code])
  |> cast_assoc, assoc_constraint or foreign_key_constraint?
end

…and in my migration:

create table(:institution_codes) do
  add :code, :string
  add :source_id, references(:sources)
  add :institution_id, references(:institutions)
end
create unique_index(:institution_codes, [:source_id, :institution_id], 
                     name: :institution_codes_index)

If I want to insert a record into institution_codes, should I be looking up the foreign keys of the Source and Institution schema and explicitly putting them in source_id and institution_id in my InstitutionCode schema params then inserting the record, or putting associations?

The unique constraint on InstitutionCode doesn’t seem to work when putting associations. When I try to insert the record I get errors in my changeset that there are uniqueness violations in the Source and Institution schemas because Ecto is trying to insert the associations. I want it to put the keys of the associations as foreign keys in the InstitutionCode record, not insert the associations themselves.

I feel like I have a fundamental misunderstanding of how these should be used.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

wfgilman

wfgilman OP

After some digging, I found this stackoverflow post which really helped explain the difference.

cast_assoc/3 is only used in the changesets of schemas that have has_one or has_many. It invokes the cast/3 validation in the changeset of the associated schema.

assoc_constraint/3 is used in the changesets of schemas that have belongs_to. It checks to make sure the parent schema is in the database so an orphaned record isn’t inserted.

foreign_key_constraint/3 is used similarly to assoc_constraint/3, except that it uses the database to validate the foreign key constraint, whereas assoc_constraint/3 uses the Ecto schema definition.

The reason I was having issues inserting records with associations was because of the way I defined the association. Ecto was trying to insert the parent record along with the child record. As noted in that linked article, the correct way to insert a child record with a parent association is to either build the the association using build_assoc/3 from the parent record, or, in more complex casts, put the parent foreign key in the parameters of the child record and pass that to the changeset.

See one, do one, teach one :wink:

32
Post #1
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews