skylord

skylord

Hello,

I currently have 2 tables: Posts and Users. It’s a one-to-many, where a post belongs_to a user and a user has_many posts.

I am kind of stuck at the moment. I have correctly seeded the data, and have the endpoints working. I currently have user_id returning to the post table and vice-versa, but I want to return an entire entity instead of just the id in the json.

Example of what I currently have:

{
“content”: “Post Content 1”,
“id”: 97,
“is_question”: true,
“user_id”: 10
},

Example of what I would like to see:

{
“content”: “Post Content 1”,
“id”: 97,
“is_question”: true,
“user”: {
“username”: “username1234”,
“password”: “helpme”,
“posts”: [all of the user’s posts] (or have this not show is fine too)
},

I have currently tried to reconfigure my list_posts method to this:

Post
|> order_by(asc: :id)
|> preload([:user])
|> Repo.all()

and I reconfigured my view to accept User as an object. But it is erroring out and saying that the user’s posts are not loaded.

So my question: how do I preload those posts, or how can I disable it from pulling those extra fields into the extra fields for Posts User, or what’s the general advice to handle this?

Thank you, sorry for long question.

** what’s the best way to paste code in, I was having it highlight everything in the question with the three appostraphes ```?

Showing Posts 1 to 2

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

The three backticks ``` (on new lines) are the best way to format code blocks IMO. When you only want to format a smaller sentence (or a single word) use the single backtick `.

jeroenbourgois

jeroenbourgois

What you want to show seems is not really related to your question. You say you want to show a post of a given user, and then show all other posts by that user? Then the preload makes no sense. It would if you would like to ouput the user with all his posts.

If you just want to show one posts and then a list of all other posts, I would handle it another way. Just fetch all posts, single out the post you want and put the rest as a property on a struct. If this is what you want I can try to make an example. Maybe even in one query.

Anyway, regarding the view, you could do it like this:

I think that you should put the preload() call after calling the Repo.all. I usually just inner_join. In your view you just need to loop over the users as well.

For example, here is the controller code:

user = User |> Repo.all() |> Preload(:posts)
render(conn, "user.json", user: user)

Then the view could be:

def render("user.json", %{user: user}) do
  %{
    id: user.id,
    username: user.username
    posts: render_may(user.posts, __MODULE__, "post.json", as: :post)       
  }
end

def render("post.json", %{post: post}) do
  %{
    id: post.id,
    content: post.content
  }
end
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews