poipoi
Hi everyone,
When you generate a context with phx.gen.context, the generator creates a changeset function in the schema file that casts certain attributes and marks others as required. However, the id is neither cast nor required.
This changeset is then utilized in nearly all the generated functions within the context.
This works fine for most of the functions, but shouldn’t the changeset used in the update and delete functions of the context require the presence of the id in the struct?
I know that the code can be modified to do this, I thought that the generator should handle it. (if it’s good to do so)
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Hello folks!
So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #security
- #metaprogramming










Showing Posts 1 to 7- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
al2o3cr
Generally this is handled by fetching the structs from the database via
Repo.getetc; you don’t normally cast:idin changesets.poipoi
Oh ok I see. I’m in a situation where if a query does not return anything, I am simply passed an empty struct so it’s a bit different
kokolegorille
It looks You are checking the db before creating, or updating?
You might have race condition, and some other methods deals with this in a safer way.
poipoi
I’m not really checking the database, I am just retrieving the struct to modify like @al2o3cr said. It’s just that my (simplified) workflow it’s like this:
Repo.get(id) |> Map.put(something) |> changeset() |> Repo.update(), but instead of failing onRepo.get!()when there is no object I return an empty struct, and I fail onRepo.update()because the struct has no PK.Instead of changing the
changesetfunction I plan to callRepo.insertif there is no PK instead ofRepo.updatethomas.fortes
This will fail because
Repo.get/3returns nil when there’s no result and you can’tMap.put/3on nilThis is called an “upsert” and ecto has support for it as described here.
poipoi
I don’t exactly use
Repo.get, it was only a simplification.Many thanks, I’ll look into it!
kokolegorille
If your pipeline can fail, You should use with…