makeitrein

makeitrein

More Ecto questions! More madness!

The context: there’s a list of books that I want to filter with a dropdown…

The dropdown: looks something like (gt stands for greater than, lt stands for land tanks)…
def word_count_options do [ "0 - 5k": [gt: 0, lt: 5000], "5k - 30k": [gt: 5000, lt: 30000], "30k - 100k": [gt: 30000, lt: 100000], "100k - 200k": [gt: 100000, lt: 200000], "200k+": [gt: 200000, lt: 1000000000] ] end

The current code: almost works, but I would like to make this into ONE where clause with OR between the word count checks (so I can compose other queries that use where with this query without mucking up my intended filter logic)…

Enum.reduce(filters, query, fn filter, query -> 
options = Fic.word_count_options[String.to_existing_atom filter] 
from f in query, or_where: f.word_count > ^options[:gt] and f.word_count < ^options[:lt] 
end)

What’s the best path forward here? The “dynamic” keyword kinda seem like what I need, but I feel there’s a more straightforward way to handle this pattern…

Showing Posts 1 to 2

josevalim

josevalim

Creator of Elixir

You should be able to use the dynamic macro to build all of the OR expressions and then interpolate it into the query at once: Ecto.Query — Ecto v3.14.0

makeitrein

makeitrein OP

Thx for the pointer Jose, ended up with something not so different from my original implementation:

dynamic = Enum.reduce(filters, false, fn filter, query -> 
    options = Fic.word_count_options[String.to_existing_atom filter] 
    dynamic([f], f.word_count > ^options[:gt] and f.word_count < ^options[:lt] or ^query)
end)

from f in query, where: ^dynamic
— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Chat/Questions Top

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews