peck
Hi everyone. I’m trying to wrap my head around using the CTE functionality in Ecto and I haven’t quite been able to figure it out by looking at the documentation. I’m working on building a simple nested comment system to try it out.
defmodule Comment do
schema "comments" do
field :body, :string
has_many :children, {"comments", __MODULE__}, foreign_key: :parent_id
belongs_to :parent, __MODULE__
timestamps()
end
end
I’d like to be able to get all the childen comments for a given comment, and all their children, and so on.
Looking at the Ecto docs, Ecto.Query — Ecto v3.14.0, I’ve come up with this:
comment_tree_initial_query = Comment |> where([c], is_nil(c.parent_id))
comment_tree_recursion_query = Comment |> join(:inner, [c], ct in "comment_tree", on: c.parent_id == ct.id)
comment_tree_query = comment_tree_initial_query |> union_all(^comment_tree_recursion_query)
Comment |> recursive_ctes(true) |> with_cte("comment_tree", as: ^comment_tree_query)
Which seems to be in the right direction, but this just gives me back all comments in a flat list, vs them being loaded into children fields. I must be missing something simple, but I cannot quite figure out what.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 5- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
peck
I guess this functionality is a little less used than I thought. I’ll find some more time to dig in and see if I can get a solution to post here for others to reference later.
seanwash
Perhaps GitHub - coryodaniel/arbor: Ecto elixir adjacency list and tree traversal. Supports Ecto versions 2 and 3. · GitHub could be of some use?
bendevski
Arbor seems to still use a list like structure. Is there a more idiomatic way to achieve this? (Conscious of the fact that this can be done using a simple recursion, just wondering if Ecto can do it out of the box.)
dhony
I didn’t test yet, but maybe this is what you are looking for:
Self-reference many-to-many
yuchunc
CTE is part of the Postgres’ feature, and is intended to return a flat list.
As for nesting, I think the first step here is to think about how deep you want the query to go, having infinite depth could cause unexpected problem down the road.
That being said, we can use preload to get what we need. I did this for my company’s use case: