fastindian84

fastindian84

Hello Community, I have a question that I can’t figure out why Ecto query work this way.

So I have a next table:


                                        Table "public.task_instances"
      Column      |              Type              | Collation | Nullable |              Default
------------------+--------------------------------+-----------+----------+-----------------------------------
 id               | uuid                           |           | not null |
 owner_id         | uuid                           |           | not null |
Indexes:
    "task_instances_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (id)
    "task_instances_owner_id_index" btree (owner_id)

And this is what shows postresql explain:

panda_dev=# panda_dev=# explain  (COSTS TRUE, FORMAT YAML, ANALYZE TRUE) select * from task_instances where owner_id = '4ae562de-f353-43ba-a090-31d4787f1fbe'::uuid;
                                   QUERY PLAN
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 - Plan:                                                                        +
     Node Type: "Bitmap Heap Scan"                                              +
     Parallel Aware: false                                                      +
     Async Capable: false                                                       +
     Relation Name: "task_instances"                                            +
     Alias: "task_instances"                                                    +
     Startup Cost: 18.67                                                        +
     Total Cost: 69.98                                                          +
     Plan Rows: 825                                                             +
     Plan Width: 225                                                            +
     Actual Startup Time: 0.246                                                 +
     Actual Total Time: 1.175                                                   +
     Actual Rows: 825                                                           +
     Actual Loops: 1                                                            +
     Recheck Cond: "(owner_id = '4ae562de-f353-43ba-a090-31d4787f1fbe'::uuid)"  +
     Rows Removed by Index Recheck: 0                                           +
     Exact Heap Blocks: 41                                                      +
     Lossy Heap Blocks: 0                                                       +
     Plans:                                                                     +
       - Node Type: "Bitmap Index Scan"                                         +
         Parent Relationship: "Outer"                                           +
         Parallel Aware: false                                                  +
         Async Capable: false                                                   +
         Index Name: "task_instances_owner_id_index"                            +
         Startup Cost: 0.00                                                     +
         Total Cost: 18.46                                                      +
         Plan Rows: 825                                                         +
         Plan Width: 0                                                          +
         Actual Startup Time: 0.210                                             +
         Actual Total Time: 0.210                                               +
         Actual Rows: 825                                                       +
         Actual Loops: 1                                                        +
         Index Cond: "(owner_id = '4ae562de-f353-43ba-a090-31d4787f1fbe'::uuid)"+
   Planning Time: 0.988                                                         +
   Triggers:                                                                    +
   Execution Time: 1.266
(1 row)

As you may see it plans to use task_instances_owner_id_index .

But when I do the same with Ecto:

Repo.explain(:all, Queries.Instances.by_owner(i), format: :yaml, analyze: true, summary: true, costs: true) 
EXPLAIN ( ANALYZE TRUE, FORMAT YAML, SUMMARY TRUE, COSTS TRUE ) SELECT t0."id", t0."owner_id" FROM "task_instances" AS t0 WHERE (t0."owner_id" = $1) [<<74, 229, 98, 222, 243, 83, 67, 186, 160, 144, 49, 212, 120, 127, 31, 190>>]
- Plan:
    Node Type: "Seq Scan"
    Parallel Aware: false
    Async Capable: false
    Relation Name: "task_instances"
    Alias: "t0"
    Startup Cost: 0.00
    Total Cost: 58.88
    Plan Rows: 825
    Plan Width: 225
    Actual Startup Time: 0.011
    Actual Total Time: 0.446
    Actual Rows: 825
    Actual Loops: 1
    Filter: "(owner_id = '4ae562de-f353-43ba-a090-31d4787f1fbe'::uuid)"
    Rows Removed by Filter: 605
  Planning Time: 1.093
  Triggers:
  Execution Time: 0.554

It doesn’t plan to use index at all. I believe it is becauase of different format, you may notice that Ecto uses binary ID when query though I am not sure.

So my question if anybody encounter such issue and if yes how did you fix it?

Thx

Showing Posts 1 to 5

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

This isn’t a consequence of Ecto, generally. And I hope you noticed that the performance (planning+execution) of the Ecto version is actually faster than the psql version.

The differences are that by default, Postgrex (the Postgres driver) uses prepared queries. psql does not. I recommend reading the Postgres docs that explain the difference between generic plans and custom plans for prepared queries which may explain why you see a different plan to the psql version.

Since the sequential scan plan was in fact faster than the indexed scan, this suggests the amount of data in the table is quite small and may well fit into a single database page. Therefore no need to read both index and table pages and hence largely similar performance. I would retest again on a much larger data set and only worry about the plan if you see anomalous performance.

16
Post #1
fastindian84

fastindian84 OP

Thank you, it totally makes sense. I thought about it but was not able to prove it.

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

I think @kip has already answered the main question, but a general note: the Postgres planner will frequently give different results based on the observed statistics of the data (# of rows, cardinality of values, etc). Doing an EXPLAIN on a small DB may not give the same results as doing one on a fully-loaded production DB.

zachallaun

zachallaun

In addition to the above:

I don’t recall the exact incantation, but I believe there is a way to force the use of indexes – this can be helpful in development to ensure that the index you expect will be used on larger data sets.

kip

kip

ex_cldr Core Team

You can execute:

set enable_seqscan = off;

To discourage the planner from doing sequential scans. But I think in the case of the original post this is very premature optimisation.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews