sushilbansal

sushilbansal

Hi,
I am trying to use Ecto.Enum as following:

 schema "demographics" do
    field :gender, Ecto.Enum,
      values: [
        male: "Male",
        female: "Female",
        other: "Other",
        prefer_not_to_say: "Prefer not to say"
      ]

    field :year_of_birth, :integer
    timestamps(type: :utc_datetime)
  end
  # function to get all the gender options - will be used with select input component
  def get_gender_options() do
    Ecto.Enum.dump_values(__MODULE__, :gender)
  end

It is working fine; it is saving in DB as string (e.g. “Prefer not to say”). Issue occurs when i fetch the db record and display on LiveView. It displays gender as: prefer_not_to_say

How i can get LV to display “Prefer not to say”.

One way i can think of is:

 schema "demographics" do
    field :gender, Ecto.Enum,
      values: [
        :Male,
        :Female,
        :Other,
        :"Prefer not to say"
      ]

    field :year_of_birth, :integer
    timestamps(type: :utc_datetime)
  end

Is there any other way?

Showing Posts 1 to 10

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Generally I’d argue that your db representation should be separate from your frontend representation. Just because you store :male runtime value as "Male" in the database doesn’t mean your frontend should render :male as "Male" (applies the same the other direction).

But if you really want to reuse that mapping you can get to it using Ecto.Enum.mappings(schema, :gender).

sushilbansal

sushilbansal OP

Thanks for the feedback. What’s the best way to keep db representation separate from frontend representation for Enums (will you store the mapping as a map and use it on front end to map it) or is there any other way?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Yeah, have two separate mappings. One from atom to frontend string, which can then potentially handle things like localization and another one (the Ecto.Enum one) for atom → db string.

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten

Chiming in, I prefer to use integers in the db, they take less space, and since Ecto returns the atoms in both cases.

krasenyp

krasenyp

All good but if someone else uses the database and/or there’s no Ecto to map the integers to atoms, the column’s values are meaningless. Strings and/or an enum type in the database are self documenting.

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten

True, but I am dealing with millions of records and 1 integer value versus a string of 4~17 characters, makes a huge difference in storage and indexes.

champeric

champeric

I know some people don’t like using them, but it’s way better in my opinion to use an ENUM if you’re using PostgreSQL. It uses the same space as an int, but it will be readable and better in terms of data integrity (you can’t have a value that doesn’t exist).

There are some caveats, but I never had any problems with them.

CREATE TYPE gender AS ENUM ('male', 'female', 'other');

krasenyp

krasenyp

You are right. Even a lookup table and a foreign key column is better than plain integers. We don’t know @Hermanverschooten’s context though. Might be storage constrained.

Hermanverschooten

Hermanverschooten

Didn’t know about the ENUM in pg, TIL
thx good to know.

sushilbansal

sushilbansal OP

will it not be tedious to update (add or delete) an entry later on?

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews