loon

loon

Hi awesome people,

I have a User and Role table. Each role has many users.

Here is the table structure in ecto migration file.

    create table(:business_user, primary_key: false) do
      add :business_id, references(:businesses, on_delete: :delete_all), null: false
      add :user_id, references(:users, on_delete: :delete_all), null: false
      add :role_id, references(:role, on_delete: :delete_all), null: false

      timestamps()
    end

I know on_delete: :delete_all) will delete all related business_users if the role is deleted. But how to i protect this role from accidentally deleted?

Because i came from Django, it has on_delete=PROTECT to protect the role from deleted and error raised. I am new to ECTO, i not sure if there is anything I am missing here :slight_smile:

Showing Posts 1 to 10

egze

egze

I don’t think that django on_delete=Protect would protect the roles. It prevents referenced objects from being deleted.

thomas.fortes

thomas.fortes

Isn’t django PROTECT an equivalent of SQL RESTRICT?

It’s been a while since I used django, but if so, on_delete: :restrict should do what you want.

c4710n

c4710n

For you case, you should use on_delete: :restrict or on_delete: :nothing.

Why?

In short, read h Ecto.Migration.references.

In detail:

  • :on_delete option specifies the behavior of referencing rows when a referenced row is deleted.
  • When you call add :role_id, references(:role, on_delete: :delete_all), null: false, we say that business_user references role:
    • rows in business_user are the referencing rows.
    • rows in role are the referenced rows.
  • :on_delete has 4 possible values:
    • :delete_all
      • PostgreSQL clause: ON DELETE CASCADE
      • description: The referencing rows will be deleted.
    • :nilify_all
      • PostgreSQL clause: ON DELETE SET NULL
      • description: The foreign key of referencing rows will be set as NULL.
    • :restrict
      • PostgreSQL clause: ON DELETE RESTRICT
      • description: Prevent deletion of a referenced row.
    • :nothing (default behavior) ::
      • PostgreSQL clause: NO ACTION
      • description: Do nothing. (It will cause an error when checking constrains.)

You can try to read the book - Programming Ecto, it will clear all you confusions and give you new insights.

c4710n

c4710n

As supplementary:

  • above code just do data consistency, it is not helpful for user experience —— You shouldn’t just popup a model, and tell users “database error occurs”.
  • try to use Ecto.Changeset.no_assoc_constraint before deleting any referenced rows, :on_delete is just the last line of defense for data consistency.
loon

loon OP

I am not very sure if django PROTECT is = SQL RESTRICT :joy:

didn’t know there is such :restrict, cannot find this in the ecto docs. anyway thanks.

read the detailed explanation above, i think :restrict is the one I am looking for :slight_smile:

loon

loon OP

thanks for the datailed explanation! one question for the :nothing, does it delete any data? example, if i delete a role, the associated business_user data and the role data remained and raise error?

thomas.fortes

thomas.fortes

It seems like PROTECT is a bit more strict than the SQL RESTRICT, but it is also purely application code, on_delete on django models is not a db constraint.

And the :restrict is in the Ecto.Migration docs.

Unless you have a good reason or is handling it at the application level, it is nor recommended to use :nothing for references because it will make the data in the db inconsistent, pointing to role_ids that do not exist anymore, if you want to just remove all the references from the business_user you could use :nilify_all, it will not prevent the deletion of a role, but when the role is deleted all references pointing to it will be set to NULL.

loon

loon OP

yes it is not db constraint, django side only.

no wonder it is very hard for me to look for the full info, i was looking at Ecto v3.14.0 — Documentation and the docs has room for improvement.

Noted, I think i have read it somewhere but cannot find the doc. I will just go with :restrict then. Thanks for the good info!

c4710n

c4710n

It will trigger database constraint error, and won’t delete any data.

loon

loon OP

Thanks, again didn’t know about Ecto.Changeset.no_assoc_constraint. will do!

and

will do!

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews