pwightman

pwightman

I’ve recreated a minimal example of the problem I’m experiencing, where cast_embed on a embeds_many is trying to protect me from accidentally overwriting my embeds when I don’t want it to. Given the following code:

defmodule TaskList do
  primary_key false
  embedded_schema do
    embeds_many :tasks, Task
  end

  def changeset(data, params \\ %{}) do
    data
    |> cast(params, [])
    |> cast_embed(:tasks)
  end
end

defmodule Task do
  @primary_key false
  embedded_schema do
    field: title
  end

  def changeset(data, params \\ %{}) do
    data
    |> cast(params, [:title])
    |> validate_required(:title)
  end
end

# Below called when LiveView form submitted

def handle_event("submit", params, socket) do
  # task_list already has 3 Task structs assigned to `tasks`, when loaded from DB
  task_list = socket.assigns.task_list

  result =
    task_list
    |> TaskList.changeset(params["data"])
    |> Repo.update()

  case result do
    {:ok, task_list} ->
      # redirect, etc
    {:error, changeset} ->
      # handle error
  end
end

TaskList.changeset/2 will raise an exception because I’m trying to replace the existing 3 Task embeds with new ones, and on_replace defaults to :raise.

Elsewhere in my app, I’m using embeds_one :foo, Foo, on_replace: :update , which has exactly the semantics I want, however embeds_many does not support this option, and none of the available options (:raise, mark_as_invalid, :delete) has the correct semantics. I would just like any cast_embed(:tasks) to “update/replace” what is there.

Right now I’m doing a dance where I replace the existing list with an empty list if I will be calling cast_embed, but it feels like a hack, and I’m replicating this hack in multiple places, and it makes the code quite messy and hard to reason about (esp when there’s other logic that conditionally calls cast_embed).

Any ideas how to do this simply?

Showing Posts 1 to 3

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

This sounds like the embedded-schema version of the difference between cast_assoc and put_assoc; I’ve never used it, but would put_embed solve this?

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

If you don’t use primary keys what would be the difference between on_replace: :delete and on_replace: :update in the first place? This is besides the fact that for embeds_many you cannot use :update for replaced items, because there’s no way to know which old item shall be updated with which set of new data. Even less given you don’t have primary keys on your embeds.

pwightman

pwightman OP

You are correct, :delete has the semantics I was looking for, but something else in my code led me to believe it was “deleting” them in a way I wasn’t expecting. It wasn’t. Thanks for the push to look back at that approach!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews