Qqwy

Qqwy

TypeCheck Core Team

Hello everyone!

As you might or might not know, Planga is a thing we’re building: It’s a seamless chat integration service.

Currently, I am busy working out the details of making Planga as scalable as it can be.
As has been discussed before in Mnesia vs Cassandra (vs CouchDB vs ...) - your thoughts?, we’re currently in the process of moving away from Mnesia to some other type of (decentralized!) datastore.

However, this brings two problems with it:

  1. It’s nearly impossible to use Ecto. On one hand, there do exist a couple of Ecto wrappers for these datastores, but they are experimental at best. (And we already are experiencing this with the ecto_mnesia wrapper… migrations are a pain and setting up the database in the testing environment is a mystery I haven’t solved yet). On the other: Distributed datastores are quite far away from what Ecto (2.0) is commonly used for: Queries (some are supported, many are not because of the data format of these decentralized datastores), Migrations (if you have your database in multiple nodes, it is near-impossible to migrate ‘tables’ at the same time).

We will still be using Ecto for its validations, but we probably will have to manage our database insertions/lookups/updates manually.

  1. Migrations. Planga is supposed to scale. We try to plan ahead as good as we can, but I am certain that there will be more fields added to our datastructures in the future.

However, this poses a problem: Once you have millions of messages stored in a (distributed) datastore, data migrations are near-impossible to run.
Instead, I currently think it makes more sense to define a way to version the datastructures, and allow older versions of the data structures to be transformed to the new expected format once it has been fetched from the datastore.
In this way, except in some advanced features where we need to add new indexes to the datastore or something, iterating over all datastructure in the datastore becomes unneccesary.

But now my question: What would be the best way to set up something like this? It feels like something that belongs in the Schema file at least. I am currently thinking about adding multiple heads for a function, one for every ‘version’ of the datastructure, which are then called incrementally (the version being an integer) until the ‘current’ version is reached.

Has someone experience with these kinds of things? I think it is sort of similar to the code_change function that is part of the GenServer behaviour, but then it is part of the data-layer rather than the code-layer.

Help is greatly appreciated!

Showing Posts 1 to 1

jeremyjh

jeremyjh

I think your idea is a good one. It reminds me a little bit of the Haskell library SafeCopy. They use TH (macros) to generate typeclass implementations and I suppose you could possibly do something similar with protocols, but I think a new function head that just knows how to migrate to the next version would make more sense. I’d probably make separate named, versioned structs for each version so it is clear what kind of structures each migration clause is operating on. This may seem like a lot of overhead but you could tuck older versions away in a separate file.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews