maz

maz

I have Users and Orgs. Users can belong to multiple Orgs and Orgs can have many users:

defmodule Elijah.Schema.User do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset
  use Waffle.Ecto.Schema

...
  schema "users" do
    field :email, :string
    field :username, :string
    field :name, :string
    field :phone_number, :string
    field :confirmed_at, :naive_datetime
    field :is_admin, :boolean
    field :avatar, Elijah.AvatarUploader.Type

    many_to_many :orgs, Elijah.Schema.Org, join_through: "orgs_users", on_replace: :delete

    timestamps()
  end
...

Org:

defmodule Elijah.Schema.Org do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset
  alias Elijah.Type.OrgHashId
...
  schema "orgs" do
    field :basename, :string
    field :shortname, :string
    field :uuid, Ecto.UUID
    field :hash_id, :string

    has_many :channels, Elijah.Schema.Channel
    has_many :playlists, Elijah.Schema.Playlist
    many_to_many :users, Elijah.Schema.User, join_through: "orgs_users", on_replace: :delete

    timestamps(type: :utc_datetime)

    # timestamps()
  end
...

OrgsUsers:

defmodule Elijah.Schema.OrgsUsers do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset


  schema "orgs_users" do
    field :org_id, :integer
    field :user_id, :integer
  end

  @doc false
  def changeset(orgs_users, attrs) do
    orgs_users
    |> cast(attrs, [:user_id, :org_id])
    |> validate_required([:user_id, :resource_id])
  end
end

I made a function called Accounts.add_user() which is meant to add a user to an org and update the orgs_users table. However what is happening is that the second association will clobber the first one:

Accounts.add_user():

    def add_user(%{"org_id" => org_id, "user_id" => user_id}) do
      org = Repo.get_by!(Org, id: org_id)
      user = Repo.get_by!(User, id: user_id)
      org
      |> Repo.preload(:users)
      |> Ecto.Changeset.change()
      |> Ecto.Changeset.put_assoc(:users, [user])
      |> Repo.update!
    end

Here is the log where I add two users:

SELECT * from orgs_users:

elijah_dev=# select * from orgs_users;
 id | org_id | user_id 
----+--------+---------
  2 |      1 |       2
(1 row)

Any idea why add_user() does not append? I also tried:

Ecto.Changeset.put_assoc(:users, org.users ++ user)

but resulted in this error:

** (ArgumentError) argument error
    :erlang.++(#Ecto.Association.NotLoaded<association :users is not loaded>, #Elijah.Schema.User<__meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "users">, avatar: nil, confirmed_at: nil, email: "amos@elijah.app", id: 1, inserted_at: ~N[2020-10-19 21:00:31], is_admin: nil, name: "Amos", orgs: #Ecto.Association.NotLoaded<association :orgs is not loaded>, phone_number: nil, updated_at: ~N[2020-10-19 21:00:31], username: "amos", ...>)
    (faithful_word 0.1.0) lib/faithful_word/accounts.ex:93: Elijah.Accounts.add_user/1

(first insert)

Showing Posts 1 to 3

fuelen

fuelen

Hello.

Yes, this behaviour is described in documentation to Ecto.Changeset.put_assoc/4:

This function is used to work with associations as a whole. For example, if a Post has many Comments, it allows you to add, remove or change all comments at once. If your goal is to simply add a new comment to a post, then it is preferred to do so manually, as we will describe later in the “Example: Adding a comment to a post” section.

The last error can be fixed by preloading users assoc to org:

org = Repo.preload(org, :users)
maz

maz OP

Thanks for showing me those docs, missed the example part. I changed

|> Ecto.Changeset.put_assoc(:users, [user])

so add_user() now reads like:

    def add_user(%{"org_id" => org_id, "user_id" => user_id}) do
      org = Repo.get_by!(Org, id: org_id)
      user = Repo.get_by!(User, id: user_id)
      org
      |> Repo.preload(:users)
      |> Ecto.Changeset.change()
      |> Ecto.Changeset.put_assoc(:users, [user | org.users])
      |> Repo.update!
    end

And I get an invalid changeset:

** (Ecto.InvalidChangesetError) could not perform update because changeset is invalid.

Errors

    %{users: [{"is invalid", [type: {:array, :map}]}]}

Applied changes

    %{}

Params

    nil

Changeset

    #Ecto.Changeset<
      action: :update,
      changes: %{},
      errors: [users: {"is invalid", [type: {:array, :map}]}],
      data: #Elijah.Schema.Org<>,
      valid?: false
    >

    (ecto 3.4.6) lib/ecto/repo/schema.ex:182: Ecto.Repo.Schema.update!/4

Why? I do a preload:

      org
      |> Repo.preload(:users)
maz

maz OP

I finally got it working. I had to assign the preloaded org to an intermediate value:

      org_loaded = Repo.preload(org, [:users])
      org_changeset = Ecto.Changeset.change(org_loaded)
      org_user_changeset = org_changeset |> Ecto.Changeset.put_assoc(:users, [user | org_loaded.users])
      Repo.update!(org_user_changeset)

Not sure why it did not work with pipe operator.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews