chrisdel101

chrisdel101

I’ve spent several days trying to make my this work, connecting my tables using Ecto Association Guide – Ecto v2.2.11

I think Many-to-many associations in phoenix and ecto - #5 by marick might work.

But now my embedded schema is screwing things up. It is not part of the DB, and it only used for the UI, but I think I still need it.

I thought embedded schemas were not supposed to effect the DB? Is there an way around this?


# this works
org = %{name: "Toys R Us", slug: "toys-r-us"}
org_c = Organization.changeset(%Organization{},  org)
org_insert =  Repo.insert!(org_c) |> Repo.preload(:employees)  

# this does not - error is due to the .preload(:organizations)
emp = %{last_name: "schmo", first_name: "joe", role: "owner", email: "joe@schmo.com", password: "password"}
emp_c = Employee.registration_changeset(%Employee{}, emp)
emp_insert = Repo.insert!(emp_c) |> TurnStile.Repo.preload(:organizations)
# embedded schema doesn't exist in DB
** (Postgrex.Error) ERROR 42703 (undefined_column) column o0.owner_employee does not exist

# schema with embeds
schema "organizations" do
    field :email, :string
    field :name, :string
    field :slug, :string
    field :phone, :string
    # org has many employees; employees can belong to many organiztions (mostly for owners)
    many_to_many :employees, Employee, join_through: "organization_employees"
 

    embeds_one :owner_employee, Employee do
      field :first_name, :string
      field :last_name, :string
      field :_email, :string
      field :password, :string, virtual: true, redact: true
    end

schema "employees" do
    field :first_name, :string
    field :last_name, :string
    field :role, :string
    field :email, :string
    field :password, :string, virtual: true, redact: true
    field :confirmed_at, :naive_datetime
    # org has many employees within the company; employees belongs to many orgs
    many_to_many :organizations, Organization, join_through: "organization_employees"

# join table I want to use, but don't know how to use
defmodule Repo.Migrations.OrganizationEmployees do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def change do
    create table(:organization_employees) do
      add :organization_id, references(:organizations)
      add :employee_id, references(:employees)

      timestamps()
    end
    create unique_index(:organization_employees, [:organization_id, :employee_id])

  end
end

Showing Posts 1 to 4

cevado

cevado

you misunderstood what embedded schemas are. they’re a way to describe a structured jsonb/map field.
if you don´t have a jsonb column named owner_employee you’d be better creating a virtual field(virutal fields are the ones that doesn’t exist in the db) that is a map.

for reference:

chrisdel101

chrisdel101 OP

Perhaps I do misunderstand. So these things don’t apply to me? It’s what I thought based on Embedded Schemas — Ecto v3.14.0

  • This data can live in memory, or can be stored in the database. (For me it’s memory)
  • You are maintaining intermediate-state data, like when UI form fields map onto multiple tables in a database. (I’m mapping to tables organizations, employees, and organization_employees)
  • If you wish to save your embedded schema to the database, you need to write a migration to include the embedded data. (I don’t wish to save it)

I don’t have owner_employee but I do have a join table that I’m trying, and failing, to use.

dimitarvp

dimitarvp

Embedded schemas without being saved to DB are basically a way to parse data by using Ecto constructs, more or less.

But if you start actively using them with other records that hit the DB you’ll have trouble, yeah. Either have them be virtual attributes (where they are used in other schemas) and/or just add them after a Repo.get and such.

cevado

cevado

so, there are a few ways to deal with that:

  • make the field in organizations a virtual one of the type map. being it a map, you can load whatever map you want there, even a employee struct loaded from the database.
  • if there is a query to define which row from employees is a owner_employee you can actually make it a relation… something like
schema "organizations" do
  ...
  has_one :owner_employee, Employee, through: "organization_employees", where: [is_owner: true]
end

and you can preload the owner_employee the same way you preload any other relation.

when you use a embedded schema this way inside another schema is always to describe a structured jsonb field.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews