brajnacs

brajnacs

Hi Everyone,

I am using Phoenix for a game application and while everything works great I am stuck with this one issue with Ecto migrations.

When running migrations no matter if the database is empty or not, it throws the following error.

(Ecto.MigrationError) migrations can’t be executed, migration name create_users is duplicated (ecto_sql) lib/ecto/migrator.ex:572: Ecto.Migrator.ensure_no_duplication!/1 (ecto_sql) lib/ecto/migrator.ex:414: Ecto.Migrator.run/4 (ecto_sql) lib/ecto/migrator.ex:142: Ecto.Migrator.with_repo/3 (game_of_fortune) lib/game_of_fortune/release.ex:10: anonymous fn/2 in GameOfFortune.Release.migrate/0 (elixir) lib/enum.ex:1948: Enum.“-reduce/3-lists^foldl/2-0-”/3 (game_of_fortune) lib/game_of_fortune/release.ex:9: GameOfFortune.Release.migrate/0 (stdlib) erl_eval.erl:680: :erl_eval.do_apply/6 Build step ‘Execute shell’ marked build as failure Finished: FAILURE

I am running the migration from the release as defined in Phoenix deployment documentation.

I tried doing the same on my MacBook and it just works fine. There are no duplicate migrations in code. Its not working on ubuntu machine. I am building the release in a docker image.

PS - The local version of Postgres on Macbook is 11.5, while on the Ubuntu server its 9.5.19

Showing Posts 1 to 6

hauleth

hauleth

Could you provide list of all migrations? ls -1 priv/repo/

brajnacs

brajnacs OP

I see, You are on spot. I ran the command in /app/lib//priv/repo/migrations and got the following.

20191004084419_create_users.exs
20191009104651_add_pow_email_confirmation_to_users.exs
20191013132252_create_users.exs
20191014044857_add_pow_email_confirmation_to_users.exs
20191015100022_create_card_types.exs
20191015100106_create_cards.exs
20191015102807_update_users.exs

Here clearly the migration create_users is duplicated. But how? I don’t know same release command doesn’t produce duplicate migration on my Mac

wolfiton

wolfiton

Doesn’t pow create a migration on it’s own, when you run mix pow.install?

Confirmed it from the pow docs

Excerpt from the docs

mix pow.install

This will add the following files to your app:

LIB_PATH/users/user.ex
**PRIV_PATH/repo/migrations/TIMESTAMP_create_user.ex**

It will generate a migration: PRIV_PATH/repo/migrations/TIMESTAMP_create_user.ex so here is your duplicate in your migration.

I hope that your problem is solved now.

brajnacs

brajnacs OP

Thanks for your help,

This turned out to be a completely different problem. After building release in a container, our devops team rsync that to a different server and they ran rsync in incremental mode, so an old file was a leftover from a previous rsync.

Thank you very much for helping me out.

wolfiton

wolfiton

Glad that your problem is solved

Kenneth_e

Kenneth_e

In Ecto migration, tables are added to DB from migration using timestamps as counters. In every Elixir migration file, you will see a DateTime string at the beginning of the name like this:

20230216222425_create_users.exs

Guessing with your error which I experienced myself, you modified the DateTime manually. Go through your migrations files again.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews