fireproofsocks
There is a nice table showing the available data types used in Ecto Schemas: Ecto.Schema — Ecto v3.14.0
But I cannot find a corresponding list that enumerates the possibilities available to an Ecto Migration. They are similar, but they are not always the same. Does anyone have such a list? And should that be a part of the docs?
Many thanks!
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
mikemccall
This?
fireproofsocks
That’s the link I meant to include in my post (now edited). That lists the data types for SCHEMAS. It’s similar, but not the same for MIGRATIONS. Thus the post. Where is there a similar list for types available within migrations?
benwilson512
This depends on the underlying database adapter. You can always use
fragmentfor the type as well and specify anything you like.fireproofsocks
I figured out how to take advantage of PostGreSQL’s inet data type following Pedro’s excellent article:
add :ip, :inet, null: false, default: fragment("'0.0.0.0'::inet")Note that you can just put whatever PostGres data type as the 2nd argument (no need to use
fragmentthere). Thefragmentmacro was however useful to supply a default argument for that field.There is still the correlating types used by the schema, but this gets me so I’m able to create the database the way I want. Thanks all!
kip
The list of types defined for Postgres is in postgrex extensions.
DidactMacros
Seems :string is not included in this list. I know bit_string is here, but the form used in ecto migrations is :string. Just an FYI for other readers.
garrison
There is a mapping from Ecto aliases (like
:string) to database types. For Postgres I believe that mapping is right here. So as you can see:stringis converted to:varchar. If the type is unknown it is converted to a string and then sent verbatim, which is why you can use any db-specific type (like:citext) even if it’s not present there.Note that the
:stringtype is not equivalent to:textwith Ecto/Postgres, because for some reason:stringactually becomesvarchar(255)- that is to say it has a limit of 255 characters.I have no idea where that default size is set (or why, for that matter).
DidactMacros
That’s a great link you provided.
One might have to rummage through (ctlr f) for mappings for things like :text. It seems the preference is to phx.gen.schema, as access to full schema mappings is readily available.
jswanner
255 is an old suggested default size for
varchar, there were reason for it at the time, there’s no great reason to continue to use it anymore. For Postgres, unless you want to enforce some hard limit on the size of a string field, it’s best to usetextas your default character field type.kip
Another reason to use
textis that Postgres string functions typically define their parameters astext, and hence you’re less likely to get type mismatch errors on them.varcharis treated somewhat as a domain overtextand hence not exactly the same.