MarkMekhaiel

MarkMekhaiel

Hi,

I’ve a few million records, and I’m trying to add a column, uuid, to their table that has a default value of each row’s id field. Is this possible? And if not, would it be possible to give it a default value that increments?

My aim is to have unique values in the new UUID column so I can then add a unique index.

Thanks in advance.

Showing Posts 1 to 9

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Probably it will be best to add the column with a default value of gen_random_uuid() and then that way they are actually UUIDs.

MarkMekhaiel

MarkMekhaiel OP

Thanks for your help. I ended up with this which works as intended:

  add :uuid, :string, null: false, default: fragment("gen_random_uuid()")
benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

I would strongly suggest using the binary_id type which will much more compactly store the underlying UUID.

MarkMekhaiel

MarkMekhaiel OP

Will do, does this just reduce the overall size of the DB?

benwilson512

benwilson512

Author of Craft GraphQL APIs in Elixir with Absinthe

Smaller size is the first order impact (the string representation is twice as big as the binary representation) but at large scale the smaller size directly translates into improved query performance because the indices are smaller and thus faster to traverse.

MarkMekhaiel

MarkMekhaiel OP

OK that sounds like a pretty tangible benefit, have changed, thanks again.

marciotrindade

marciotrindade

@MarkMekhaiel If it is a table with some records (a lot of them), my recommendation is to do it with more than 1 migration to avoid having your table locked.

My suggestion is:

  1. Create a new UUID column that does not have a default value and can be null.
  2. Run a script to generate value for empty records in a batch of some records until all of them are updated.
  3. In the same migration (using the same transaction, yes Postgres uses transactions for DDL) run your script again and change the UUID column to be not null and having gen_random_uuid() as a default value.

That way you can avoid changes in a table with a lot of records and lock the table during the generation of those values.

MarkMekhaiel

MarkMekhaiel OP

Thanks for the advice, I ended up copy and pasting from Backfilling Data · The Phoenix Files - batching every 2500 and throttling inbetween with a temp table to store the ID’s of completed records

HappyBee

HappyBee

Hi @benwilson512 @marciotrindade, could you suggest a book on designing(data modelling) and working with databases(especially Postgres)? I would like to get better at dealing with DB’s in an efficient way.

Thank you both of you & have a great day!

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
peck
Hi everyone. My team and I have been working on a fairly modest app based around video streaming and chat, but we’ve landed a customer t...
New
bradley
I really like the adapter patterns that ecto, nebulex, waffle, etc. use and would love find something similar for a key management servic...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
Alvinkariuki
How Can I Optimise Compile Time Dependencies I have been building an elixir application for about 2 years now. Many modules and files ha...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mudasobwa
I fully migrated to my own harness from Anthropic/Gemini and I think it’s time to share it. Welcome DSH, the DeepSeek Harness, fully writ...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New
juhalehtonen
There has been a thread to discuss the Stack Overflow Developer Survey on this forum every year since 2018, so here’s yet another one for...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews