cboebel

cboebel

Hello,

I’m having a vexing issue using Ecto.UUIDs as my primary key in a table. When I create a record, I generate the UUID for the id, and pass that along with the other fields to insert. A record is created, and the UUID is shown. When I query the record, I get a different UUID back.

Here’s an example of what I’m seeing. Code for the schema and repo follow the example.

I believe I’m doing something dumb but, at least for me, the dumber it is the harder it is to find.

iex(5)> Repo.insert(%ReplicationType{id: Ecto.UUID.generate(), name: "test3"})
18:32:49.063 [debug] QUERY OK db=0.8ms queue=7.6ms
INSERT INTO `replication_types` (`id`,`name`,`inserted_at`,`updated_at`) VALUES (?,?,?,?) [<<71, 34, 96, 242, 205, 97, 72, 47, 171, 47, 132, 161, 18, 187, 187, 138>>, "test3", ~N[2019-04-19 22:32:49], ~N[2019-04-19 22:32:49]]
{:ok,
 %Pserver.Pserver.ReplicationType{
   __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "replication_types">,
   id: "472260f2-cd61-482f-ab2f-84a112bbbb8a",
   inserted_at: ~N[2019-04-19 22:32:49],
   name: "test3",
   replication_tables: #Ecto.Association.NotLoaded<association :replication_tables is not loaded>,
   sites: #Ecto.Association.NotLoaded<association :sites is not loaded>,
   updated_at: ~N[2019-04-19 22:32:49]
 }}
iex(6)> Repo.get_by(ReplicationType, name: "test3")                           
18:33:11.506 [debug] QUERY OK source="replication_types" db=8.9ms
SELECT r0.`id`, r0.`name`, r0.`inserted_at`, r0.`updated_at` FROM `replication_types` AS r0 WHERE (r0.`name` = ?) ["test3"]
%Pserver.Pserver.ReplicationType{
  __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:loaded, "replication_types">,
  id: "4722603f-3f61-482f-3f2f-3f3f123f3f3f",
  inserted_at: ~N[2019-04-19 22:32:49],
  name: "test3",
  replication_tables: #Ecto.Association.NotLoaded<association :replication_tables is not loaded>,
  sites: #Ecto.Association.NotLoaded<association :sites is not loaded>,
  updated_at: ~N[2019-04-19 22:32:49]
}

the code for ReplicationType:

defmodule Pserver.Pserver.ReplicationType do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset
  alias Pserver.Pserver.{ReplicationTable, Site}

  @primary_key {:id, :binary_id, autogenerate: true}
  @foreign_key_type :binary_id
  schema "replication_types" do
    # field :id, :binary_id
    field :name, :string
    
    has_many :sites, Site
    has_many :replication_tables, ReplicationTable
    timestamps()
  end

  @doc false
  def changeset(replication_type, attrs) do
    replication_type
    |> cast(attrs, [:name])
    |> validate_required([:name])
    |> unique_constraint(:name)
  end
end

And the Repo…

defmodule Pserver.Repo do
  use Ecto.Repo,
    otp_app: :pserver,
    adapter: Ecto.Adapters.MySQL
end

Thank you!

Showing Posts 1 to 10

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

This won’t let id through, causing the built-in autogenerate to run instead.

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

I don’t think that’s it since he’s passing the id as part of the struct itself %ReplicationType{id: Ecto.UUID.generate(), name: "test3"} (and he’s not going through the changeset at all)

@cboebel what version of mysql are you using and what is the exact column type of the id? Also you might want to checkout the MyXQL adapter: GitHub - elixir-ecto/myxql: MySQL 5.5+ driver for Elixir · GitHub (I don’t see any UUID support mentioned but I would it expect it to work with direct binaries)

cboebel

cboebel OP

This is correct. The example I posted doesn’t use the changeset.

I’m using 5.7.25 MySQL Community Server (GPL).

The column type is binary(16)

cboebel

cboebel OP

I should also point out that this happens if I generate the UUID myself or let it happen as part of the autogenerate.

axelson

axelson

Scenic Core Team

What column type in MySQL are you using?

cboebel

cboebel OP

binary(16)

cboebel

cboebel OP

Also tried this we MySQL 8 - same results.

simon

simon

I discovered this in the context of migrations so it might not make any difference here but when your define your primary key add read_after_writes: true.

@primary_key {:id, :binary_id, autogenerate: true, read_after_writes: true}

cboebel

cboebel OP

MySQL does not like this:

For relational databases, this means the RETURNING option of those statements is used. For this reason, MySQL does not support this option and will raise an error if a schema is inserted/updated with read after writes fields.

isaac-rstor

isaac-rstor

Can you double check that your character encoding and collation is ok? Ecto’s MySQL doesn’t support certain of MySQL encoding types, and I remember having major problems with uuids that drove me up the wall (but were solvable - except when I had to interface with other databases at work) until I switched to postgres.

I can’t be 100% sure but I recall values being trimmed at 3f as being diagnostic of the problem – you’ll have to use utf8- something other other and not Latin, which is the default in MySQL iirc.

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews