cd-slash

cd-slash

I have a relatively large table (~350k rows and ~50 columns) in an existing GADM database that I’m connecting to with Ecto.

I’ve created indexes on the table with the migration below:

defmodule GADM.Migrations.AddIndexes do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def up do
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_0]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_1]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_2]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_3]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_4]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_5]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:country]))
  end

  def down do
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_0]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_1]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_2]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_3]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_4]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_5]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:country]))
  end
end

Ecto.Migrator.down(GADMRepo, 0, GADM.Migrations.AddIndexes)
Ecto.Migrator.up(GADMRepo, 0, GADM.Migrations.AddIndexes)

I’m then making a relatively simple query using Ecto:

import Ecto.Query

id_field_name = String.to_atom("gid_3")
child_id_field_name = String.to_atom("gid_4")
name_field_name = String.to_atom("name_3")

GADM.Region
|> where([r], field(r, ^id_field_name) != "")
|> where([r], field(r, ^child_id_field_name) == "")
|> select([r], %{
  gid: field(r, ^id_field_name),
  name: field(r, ^name_field_name)
})
|> distinct(true)
|> GADMRepo.all()

This works, but is very slow:


10:26:39.908 [debug] QUERY OK source="gadm_410" db=2820.3ms queue=0.1ms idle=1446.3ms
SELECT DISTINCT g0."gid_3", g0."name_3" FROM "gadm_410" AS g0 WHERE (g0."gid_3" != '') AND (g0."gid_4" = '') []
↳ :elixir.eval_external_handler/3, at: src/elixir.erl:386

In contrast, when I paste exactly the same SQL as the output shows into SQLIte Studio, it executes in ~1ms, which is what I’d have anticipated with indexes available for all of the columns I’m working with.

To diagnose, firstly I’ve tried to use explain but can’t see any straightforward way to get Ecto to explain a query like this. Is there a function for that?

Secondly, since the indexes are clearly being built and then used when I execute the query elsewhere, why would Ecto not be using them? Even without the explain I can intuit that this is what’s happening as deleting the indexes yields almost identical execution times, so it seems they’re not having any effect.

Showing Posts 1 to 9

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Ecto has no influence on the db using an index or not. You’d want to make sure the queries are indeed the same (including using parameters and prepared queries or not).

cd-slash

cd-slash OP

Ecto.Adapters.SQL — Ecto SQL v3.12.0

Thanks, I’d tried that but couldn’t get it working for SQLite, seemed to only be for Postgres / MySQL?

Ecto has no influence on the db using an index or not. You’d want to make sure the queries are indeed the same (including using parameters and prepared queries or not).

Noted, I’ll try to ensure the queries are identical and continue trying to find a way to profile the query from Ecto

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Use the Repo.explain variant as documented. This exists for the sqlite driver as well.

cd-slash

cd-slash OP

Thanks, I was actually able to get it working with the code below:

GADMRepo.explain(
  :all,
  GADM.Region
  |> where([r], field(r, ^id_field_name) != "")
  |> where([r], field(r, ^child_id_field_name) == "")
  |> select([r], %{
    gid: field(r, ^id_field_name),
    name: field(r, ^name_field_name)
  })
  |> distinct(true)
)

This yielded the query plan:

"QUERY PLAN
|--SEARCH g0 USING INDEX gadm_410_gid_4_index (GID_4=?)
`--USE TEMP B-TREE FOR DISTINCT"

This is somewhat unexpected since it shows the plan to use the gid_4 index (though no reference to gid_3 index).

I’ll need to keep exploring with some alternative queries to see how I might be able to speed it up / get it closer to what’s happening in SQLite Studio when I run the SQL there.

cd-slash

cd-slash OP

To test the indexes, I created some compound indexes with both of the columns that I might be using as below and got some unexpected results.

defmodule GADM.Migrations.AddIndexes do
  use Ecto.Migration

  def up do
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_0]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_0, :gid_1]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_1]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_1, :gid_2]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_2]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_2, :gid_3]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_3]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_3, :gid_4]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_4]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_4, :gid_5]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_5]))
    create(index(:gadm_410, [:country]))
  end

  def down do
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_0]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_0, :gid_1]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_1]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_1, :gid_2]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_2]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_2, :gid_3]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_3]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_3, :gid_4]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_4]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_4, :gid_5]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:gid_5]))
    drop(index(:gadm_410, [:country]))
  end
end

Ecto.Migrator.down(GADMRepo, 0, GADM.Migrations.AddIndexes)
Ecto.Migrator.up(GADMRepo, 0, GADM.Migrations.AddIndexes)

This is my schema, for reference:

defmodule GADMRepo do
  use Ecto.Repo, otp_app: :guyde, adapter: Ecto.Adapters.SQLite3
end

defmodule GADM.Region do
  use Ecto.Schema

  @primary_key {:fid, :id, autogenerate: false}
  schema "gadm_410" do
    field(:name_0, :string)
    field(:name_1, :string)
    field(:name_2, :string)
    field(:name_3, :string)
    field(:name_4, :string)
    field(:name_5, :string)
    field(:gid_0, :string)
    field(:gid_1, :string)
    field(:gid_2, :string)
    field(:gid_3, :string)
    field(:gid_4, :string)
    field(:gid_5, :string)
    field(:geom, :binary)
    field(:country, :string)
    field(:subcont, :string)
    field(:continent, :string)
  end
end

The unexpected result is that it’s using a different index than I’d have expected - with the explain code below to find rows where gid_3 is not empty and gid_4 is empty, it seems to be using the index for gid_4 and gid_5 instead?

"QUERY PLAN\n|--SEARCH g0 USING INDEX gadm_410_gid_4_gid_5_index (GID_4=?)\n`--USE TEMP B-TREE FOR DISTINCT"

Obviously unexpected and peculiar; I will continue to investigate, but any insight into why this would be is greatly appreciated.

ruslandoga

ruslandoga

:wave: @cd-slash

Just a guess: gid_4 might be picked because your query uses the equality operator with it, and on gid_3 it uses != which probably gets ignored.

Possible workarounds:

al2o3cr

al2o3cr

Like @ruslandoga said, the != operator is likely the root of your struggles.

Some things to consider trying:

  • reverse the order in the multicolumn indexes - so [:gid_4, :gid_3] instead of [:gid_3, :gid_4]. That way the initial columns in the index are being matched with =.

  • create an index on expressions like ["gid_4 != ''", :gid_3] that match the exact expressions being used in the query. (that syntax is likely wrong)

joey_the_snake

joey_the_snake

Is everything exactly the same when you query outside of Ecto? For example, the table has the same data inside of it?

If the query text is 100% the same in both places the only way they can choose different plans is if the estimated amount of work is different. The most obvious ways this can happen is if the data is different or it can change between analyze runs because those are based on samples. Or maybe your SQL CLI is using a different version of SQLite than Ecto is.

cd-slash

cd-slash OP

It seems like this was accurate - swapping the order of the == and != yielded much better performance. I was able to further improve it by chunking on country which is also indexed, and have got it running ~500x faster at this point, which is good enough for an infrequent task.

Thanks all - appreciate this ended up not being an Ecto issue and more of a general database problem, but I’ve learned a lot about how Ecto works from this too.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews