tfischbach

tfischbach

I am using Tsung to load test a Phoenix channel that performs quite a bit of db queries when handling messages. When I increase the number of concurrent clients to about 5000 each sending a message every few seconds, I start to see that db queries take longer. Ecto logs “queue”, “query” and “decode” time individually. The delay is exclusively caused by the “queue” component. While the CPU load on the web host is high, the db host does not see significant load. Queue times increase to up to a few seconds.

Using the observer I can see that the MsgQ of the Repo.Pool process is filling up. Does anyone know

a) whether this is a sign that no more db connections are available in the pool? Increasing the pool size did not have a significant effect, though.
b) whether this could be caused by the high CPU load? Could it be that the scheduler does not assign enough CPU time to the Ecto.Pool process to handle its message?
c) what else might help to improve this situation?

Generally, I have the impression that handling messages via Phoenix channels is quite CPU intensive. Even with simple end points that only do trivial in memory computations, 10000 concurrent users quickly take up to 80% percent of the CPU resources on a server with eight cores.

I have found that disabling Ecto and Phoenix channel logging improved things. Even when the log level was set to warn, both still send debug messages to the Logger process even if they are silenced. The MsgQ of the Logger process was filling up.

Any other performance improvements others might have come across?

Thanks!

Showing Posts 1 to 1

michalmuskala

michalmuskala

What was the size of the VM run queue during the tests? This can indicate if the server was overloaded in general or is the problem local to the repo pool.

You could also try working with the sojurn pool - it should handle working during overload better.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New
dillonoconnor
Is there any way to avoid the Hologram compiler running when using iex? It seems like the front-end code could potentially be disregarded...
New
thiagogsr
** (ArgumentError) expected :max_attempts to be a positive integer, got: {:@, [line: 10, column: 19], [{:max_attempts, [line: 10, column:...
New
unaware8150
Hello folks! So at work, we are seeing some situations where we have to define some “fixed” strings that are used across the codebase in...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
KristerV
Hey. Is there anyone here who creates agents in their apps? Not talking about using agents, but creating them. I’m finding it pretty diff...
New
mcass19
ExRatatui lets you cook up rich terminal UIs in Elixir, powered by Rust’s ratatui via Rustler NIFs. Build interactive terminal applicatio...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews