wilkinson4

wilkinson4

Hello,

We recently did some optimizations on a slow query in our system, and found the following article from dba exchange that has a nice syntax for selecting an array of items per row

This ended up being a more performant solution from what we were using previously. Below is a simple example of what we’re trying to do in raw postgresql

select *
from calls c
  left join lateral (
    select array (
        select cr.id
        from call_recordings cr
        where cr.call_id = c.id
          and cr.s3_key is not null) as call_recording_ids) as call_recordings on true
limit 10;

As far as I can tell there isn’t an easy way to do this in Ecto. The closest translation to Ecto I’ve got so far is this

  def test_select_array do
    call_recordings_query =
      from cr in Recording,
        select: %{
          call_recording_ids:
            fragment(
              "(SELECT ARRAY(SELECT cr.id FROM call_recordings cr WHERE cr.call_id = ? AND cr.s3_key IS NOT NULL))",
              parent_as(:call).id
            )
        }

    from(c in Call,
      as: :call,
      left_lateral_join: cr in subquery(call_recordings_query),
      limit: 10,
      select: %{
        call_id: c.id,
        call_recording_ids: cr
      }
    )
  end

But even that isn’t quite right, and it’s janky. Looking for any ideas/guidance on this. Maybe this is something Ecto supports without a fragment and I’m not aware of it, or could support?

– Will

Showing Posts 1 to 6

D4no0

D4no0

You could move the fragment to a macro to make the query cleaner, here is an example on how that looks like:

defmacro st_transform(wkt, srid) do
  quote do: fragment("ST_Transform(?, ?)", unquote(wkt), unquote(srid))
end
Schultzer

Schultzer

This is where Ecto start to show it’s brittleness, as one of the best ORM I have ever worked with, it still falls short in a lot of real world cases and especially on a enterprise level where you usually have dedicated DBAs that don’t know Elixir, GitHub - elixir-dbvisor/sql: SQL provides state-of-the-art, high-performance SQL integration for Elixir, built to handle extreme concurrency with unmatched expressiveness and ergonomic query composition. Write safe, composable, parameterized queries directly, without translating to Ecto or any ORM. · GitHub could help you out here, still fresh but the idea is simple, lower the barrier between Elixir and SQL.

wilkinson4

wilkinson4 OP

I appreciate the help on this. I tried the macro route, but I ran into some compilation issues with how I was using it. It almost feels like there should be an array concept in Ecto that expects a subquery so something like this could be written:

    call_recording_query =
      from(cr in CallRecording,
        where: parent_as(:call).id == cr.call_id,
        select: cr.id
      )

    from(c in Call,
      as: :call,
      left_lateral_join: call_recording_ids in array(call_recording_query),
      select: %{
        id: c.id,
        call_recording_ids: call_recording_ids
      }
    )

Maybe something Ecto could support only for lateral joins? I could see this being useful in situations where preloads aren’t an option. I’d be happy to work on a PR to Ecto so.

Fortunately we were able to refactor this query to use preloads where we only selected the fields that we needed. Like so:

    from(c in Call,
      as: :call,
      join: u in assoc(c, :user),
      as: :user,
      left_join: cp in assoc(c, :contact_phone),
      as: :contact_phone,
      left_join: con in assoc(cp, :contact),
      as: :contact,
      left_join: pc in PatientContact,
      on: pc.patient_id == c.patient_id and pc.contact_id == con.id,
      left_join: ca in assoc(c, :call_audit),
      as: :call_audit,
      left_join: au in assoc(ca, :auditor),
      as: :auditor,
      left_join: p in assoc(c, :patient),
      as: :patient,
      left_join: d in assoc(c, :disposition),
      as: :disposition,
      left_join: cr in assoc(c, :call_recordings),
      preload: [
        user: u,
        patient: p,
        disposition: d,
        call_recordings: cr,
        call_audit: {ca, auditor: au},
        contact_phone: {cp, contact: {con, patient_contacts: pc}}
      ],
      order_by: [desc: c.started_at],
      select:
        map(c, [
          :id,
          :zoom_call_id,
          :started_at,
          :ended_at,
          :call_type,
          :purpose,
          :call_uuid,
          :notes,
          :patient_id,
          :thrio_workitem_id,
          :zoom_external_phone_number,
          user: [:id, :first_name, :last_name],
          patient: [:id, :first_name, :last_name, :preferred_language],
          contact_phone: [
            :id,
            :phone_number,
            :status,
            contact: [:id, :name, patient_contacts: [:id, :status]]
          ],
          call_audit: [:id, :status, auditor: [:full_name]],
          call_recordings: [:id, :call_id, :s3_key, :transcript_raw]
        ])
    )
    |> Call.with_duration()
Schultzer

Schultzer

Those two queries are very different, and over time different user might experience different performance.

But that said, if you are a young startup, then you can easily kick this can down the road.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

Bare selects are not supported by ecto queries. That’s your issue, not necessarily the array part.

LostKobrakai

LostKobrakai

import Ecto.Query

array_query = 
  from cr in "call_recordings",
    where: cr.call_id == parent_as(:call).id,
    where: not is_nil(cr.s3_key),
    select: %{
      id: cr.id
    }

call_recordings_query =
      from cr in subquery(array_query),
        select: %{
          call_recording_ids: fragment("array_agg(?)", cr.id)
        }
query = 
  from(c in "calls",
    as: :call,
    left_lateral_join: cr in subquery(call_recordings_query), on: true,
    limit: 10,
    select: %{
      call_id: c.id,
      call_recording_ids: cr
    }
  )

{sql, _} = Repo.to_sql(:all, query)
IO.puts(sql)
# SELECT c0."id", s1."call_recording_ids" 
# FROM "calls" AS c0 
# LEFT OUTER JOIN LATERAL (
#   SELECT array_agg(ss0."id") AS "call_recording_ids" 
#   FROM (
#     SELECT ssc0."id" AS "id" 
#     FROM "call_recordings" AS ssc0 
#     WHERE (ssc0."call_id" = c0."id") AND (NOT (ssc0."s3_key" IS NULL))
#   ) AS ss0
# ) AS s1 ON TRUE 
# LIMIT 10

Functionally this should yield the same result as the requested query

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews