bagasprstyadi
Hi guys just wondering is it possible to preload but with a condition from the main query
Let’s say I have a model named Post. A Post has a tag which is a string. Then I want to query a specific Post for example Post with id = idA. While querying the Post I also want to preload all other Post which have a similar tag under a field called similar_posts in the query. So it looks something like this:
%Post{
id: "ID_A",
tag: "TopicA",
similar_posts: [
%Post{
id: "ID_B",
tag: "topicA"
},
%Post{
id: "ID_C",
tag: "TopicA"
}
]
}
Let’s say I already created an association in the Post model:
has_many :similar_posts, MyApp.Post
When I tried
from(p in Post,
preload: [similar_posts: ^from(pp in Post,
where: pp.id != p.id and
pp.tag == p.tag,
order_by: pp.inserted_at
)]
)
It error said that p is undefined. Can someone help me? Am I doing something wrong here or is it not possible and better to seperate the query itself after retrieving the result.
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI.
Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
Kurisu
If a post can have many “similar_posts” does it mean that a post belongs to another post?
It seems to me that you can’t have a
has_manyassociation without abelongs_toassociation in the other way. I guess when preloading children, abelongs_toassociation should be required.What I would do is to make a simple querry that returns all the similar posts and merge it into a virtual field defined in the Post schema.
You can easily do that with select_merge.
Also it would be preferable to add a limit to the number of similar posts…
LostKobrakai
That’s not actually a requirement in ecto. Using the
thoughoption it can also be used for many to many relationships for example. It doesn’t necessitate an actual foreign key relationship on the db level.If you don’t join the to be preloaded posts on the root query then the preload will happen in a separate query, which then of course doesn’t have access to
panymore. You can look at preload functions to build your query or as already mentioned join things on your root query.