dli
I use Repo.insert_all to bulk insert ~100m rows in chunks. After each chunk, some outdated data based on the insert’s RETURNING is deleted with Repo.delete_all.
The query that selects the rows to delete uses join: values(...) and has around 200-600 parameters, depending on the situation. These queries are homogeneous when you factor out the VALUES list.
After inserting all rows, the ETS Repo cache table has 1841 objects and uses a whopping ~360 MB of memory. It looks like each distinct parameter count is PREPAREd and cached individually.
It seems unnecessary to cache these highly specific DELETE queries. Can I bypass the cache for these queries, or what other options do I have?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex










Showing Posts 1 to 10- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
dimitarvp
Which ETS table, sorry? Who is managing it?
dli
I am referring to the built-in Ecto query cache. It’s pretty much undocumented but it exists, and it makes my memory usage grow
: ecto/lib/ecto/query/planner.ex at master · elixir-ecto/ecto · GitHub
Observer returned the table stats mentioned in my first post.
mpope
Can you try to set
prepareto:unnamedin your connection? I have trouble finding if this will disable the cache specifically but it’s worth a try.dli
Didn’t make any difference. Statements still show up in ETS and eat up memory.
Interestingly enough, insert statements don’t show up regardless of
prepare: :unnamed.fuelen
Try to rewrite the query to
json_to_recordsetinstead ofvalues. In this case, you’ll pass only a single parameter.josevalim
We fixed this in Ecto to not use query cache for
values. If you can pass the data as parameter, as @fuelen suggests, that would be certainly best.benwilson512
This isn’t exactly what you’re asking but if you’re in the millions of rows category I would strongly suggest using COPY instead of bulk inserts. COPY is both more performant at the postgres level, and will also bypass the query cache issue you’re having.
Here is a helper module we have for this operation:
It’s mildly tedious because you have to basically build CSV of the data you’re ingesting but it’s well worth it if you’re in the 100m rows world.
dli
Thank you @josevalim @fuelen @benwilson512. The Ecto fix is highly appreciated. I will try
json_to_recordsetbefore the new Ecto version is out. Looks like I can get away with much larger batches when I can squeeze the entire data set into one parameter.I will also try the
COPYstatement + figure out a new way to retrieve the data I previously obtained viaRETURNING.dli
For the record, here’s a link to the fix PR: Disable cache for values lists by greg-rychlewski · Pull Request #4471 · elixir-ecto/ecto · GitHub
nono.31
Hi @dli
Did the fix solve you issue?
We have an Ecto Repo caching problem and we are on latest Ecto version.
Thanks.