jerry

jerry

Good day to you all.

I have been struggling to get a query involving like and ilike to work.
Can anyone assist me on this, please?

product="SurfacePro"

from(u in Product,
  where: like(u.product_name, %product%),
  select: %{product_id: u.id, description: u.product_desc}
) |> Repo.all

Showing Posts 1 to 10

NobbZ

NobbZ

Have you taken a look at the documentation? Ecto.Query.API — Ecto v3.14.0

From how I read it, you need to pass in a string as second argument, eg. like(u.product_name, "%SurfacePro%"), but you wan’t this probably set dynamically at runtime from user input.

Since I’m not sure if you are allowed to interpolate a string in the query the way you would do it outside, I’ll prepare it and then pin:

product = "SurfacePro" # or from a function argument?
like = "%#{product}%"

from(u in Product,
  where: like(u.product_name, ^like),
  select: %{product_id: u.id, description: u.product_desc}
) |> Repo.all
12
Post #1
jerry

jerry OP

Hello @NobbZ,

Many thanks.
Your suggestion worked.

I had tried several different options without success.

Regards,

Jerry

rameshsharma

rameshsharma

Can someone please guide me here, below is my requirement:-

iex:8> Repo.all(from u in AdminUser, select: u.roles)

This query gives the below result:-
[
[“root”],
[“super”, “transfer”, “operator”],
[“super”, “transfer”, “operator”],
[“super”, “operator”],
[“root”]
]

This is working to get the count for “root” as 2.
Repo.one(from u in AdminUser, where: u.roles == [1], select: count(“*”))

How to get the count of rows with only “super”?


  1. “root” ↩︎

lucaong

lucaong

Hi @rameshsharma , welcome to the forum!
Yours sounds like a different question than the one in this thread, as it’s not about LIKE/ILIKE queries (or am I mistaken?).

If so, it’s probably better to post it as a separate question, outlining your problem and goals. Some useful info would be:

  • what is the type of the roles column? Is it a Postgres array of strings?
  • Do you want to select rows that contain only super (and no other role), or rows that include super among the roles?
rameshsharma

rameshsharma

Hi Luca,

Thanks for responding. I posted here as I thought it could be linked to like search. S.orry for that
The roles column in database is a Postgres array of strings. You are correct.
I want to get the count of rows that include ‘super’ among the roles?

lucaong

lucaong

I don’t have a computer here to try this right now (I am on my phone now), but if you are selecting for rows that contain super among the roles, you should be able to do so with the ANY(array) expression. Adapting from your query, something like this (untested):


Repo.one(from u in AdminUser, where: fragment("ANY(roles)") == "super", select: count("*"))

  1. “root” ↩︎

rameshsharma

rameshsharma

Sorry Luca, getting error here with this query:-

iex:9> Repo.one(from u in AdminUser, where: fragment(“ANY(roles)”) == “super”, select: count(“*”))

[debug] QUERY ERROR source=“admin_users” db=0.0ms queue=2.3ms idle=1758.9ms
SELECT count(‘*’) FROM “admin_users” AS a0 WHERE (ANY(roles) = ‘super’)
** (Postgrex.Error) ERROR 42601 (syntax_error) syntax error at or near “ANY”

query: SELECT count('*') FROM "admin_users" AS a0 WHERE (ANY(roles) = 'super')
(ecto_sql 3.3.3) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:612: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.raise_sql_call_error/1
(ecto_sql 3.3.3) lib/ecto/adapters/sql.ex:545: Ecto.Adapters.SQL.execute/5
(ecto 3.3.2) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:192: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.execute/4
(ecto 3.3.2) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:17: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.all/3
(ecto 3.3.2) lib/ecto/repo/queryable.ex:112: Ecto.Repo.Queryable.one/3
lucaong

lucaong

Sorry, I am not able to check it now. Maybe you just need to add a space after ANY, like ANY (roles), or you need to invert the order, like "super" == fragment("ANY(roles)"), or maybe I am just completely off.

rameshsharma

rameshsharma

You are a genius Luca. Reverting the order works. Thanks for your help.

iex:13> Repo.one(from u in AdminUser, where: “super” == fragment(“ANY(roles)”), select: count(""))
[debug] QUERY OK source=“admin_users” db=1.7ms idle=1958.4ms
SELECT count('
') FROM “admin_users” AS a0 WHERE (‘super’ = ANY(roles))
3.

silverdr

silverdr

Apparently one can pin the interpolated string too :slight_smile:

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
Cxx-mlr
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution: data = %{ name: "Periodic Table", category:...
New
ChrisAmelia
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication): toke...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews