a8t

a8t

Hi, please let me know if this is listed plainly in the docs and I skipped it.

I’m writing an app with Phoenix and Ecto, standard fare. I have Users and Rooms. Each Room belongs to a User, associated by a foreign key field called owner_id on the Rooms table. The schemas are like this:

defmodule MyApp.Rooms.Room do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset

  schema "rooms" do
    field :name, :string
    belongs_to :user, SimpleVote.Accounts.User, foreign_key: :owner_id

    timestamps()
  end
end

defmodule SimpleVote.Accounts.User do
  use Ecto.Schema
  import Ecto.Changeset

  @derive {Inspect, except: [:password]}
  schema "users" do
    field :email, :string
    field :password, :string, virtual: true
    field :hashed_password, :string
    field :confirmed_at, :naive_datetime
    has_many :rooms, SimpleVote.Rooms.Room, foreign_key: :owner_id

    timestamps()
  end
end

I’m running into trouble with that Room.owner_id field. It looks like the struct turns preloads into the actual model (or table? name:


%Rooms.Room{
  __meta__: #Ecto.Schema.Metadata<:built, "rooms">,
  id: nil,
  inserted_at: nil,
  name: "room name",
  owner_id: 1364,
  updated_at: nil,
  user: #Ecto.Association.NotLoaded<association :user is not loaded>
}

Note the user key.

Assuming this question makes sense… how do I set the name of the association field? Instead of Room.user, I want Room.owner.

Thanks in advance.

Showing Posts 1 to 1

a8t

a8t OP

I figured it out. I need to belongs_to :owner. The first argument is the field name, not the name of the db table.

Embarrassed that this took me a few hours of searching and experimenting. This link helped me.

— All posts loaded —

Where Next? Top

Trending in Questions Top

katta
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
brecabral
Documentation While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
achenet
Hello, I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind. However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
kpanic
Hi everyone, I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding. I sta...
New
velrest
So my question is quite simple and i have found no conclusive answer on forum, google or AI. Should we use :erlang.float for Integer to ...
New
asweet-confluent
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
mnkhod
So i have been using ash framework for a while and i love it. However currently the issue im having with ash framework is the error handl...
New

Other Trending Topics Top

GenericJam
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived. Mob is alive!! Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
JesseHerrick
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
mudasobwa
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM. Welcome Cure. It has literally three kille...
New
garrison
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language. Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
mhanberg
Hi everyone! The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available! We’ve published a press release detai...
New
budgie
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders. I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New

We're in Beta

About us Mission Statement

Options

Thread Display Mode




Thread Preview

Skip Thread Previews