chungwong
Given a schema structure:
schema "sales_item" do
field :id
field :product_id
field :parent_id
belongs_to :parent, SalesItem, foreign_key: :parent_id
has_many :children, SalesItem, foreign_key: :parent_id
end
A product can have many children recursively, i.e. each child can have many children.
And input data as follow
children = [
{
"product_id": 12197,
"children": [
{
"product_id": 8637,
"children": [...]
},
{
"product_id": 11224,
"children": [...]
},
{
"product_id": 3561
}
]
},
{
"product_id": 12200,
"children": [
{
"product_id": 12129,
"children": [
{
"product_id": 11586,
"children": [...]
},
{
"product_id": 11377
},
{
"product_id": 10682
}
]
}
]
}
]
If I have to insert this whole linked data in one go into database,
SalesItem.changeset(%SalesItem{}, %{
product_id: 1,
children: children,
})
|> Ecto.Changeset.cast_assoc(:children)
What happened was only the first level of children got inserted, the nested children were ignored completely.
Does cast_assoc support nested associations?
Trending in Questions
I having some trouble figuring out if I have set myself too strict of standards for my production server. Currently I can handle 75% of r...
New
Documentation
While reading the Scoped Routes section, I noticed that the documentation currently refers to a problem without explainin...
New
Hello,
I’m trying to build a basic Phoenix web-app, and I’d like to use Tailwind.
However, when I launch mix phx.server, I get an error...
New
Hi everyone,
I am toying with the idea of building a “match maker” for giving personal help to people that wants to start coding.
I sta...
New
I recently noticed that Elixir’s Logger defaults its primary log level to :debug when no :logger, :level application configuration is pre...
New
I’m working on a small exercise involving update_in/3, and I came up with this solution:
data = %{
name: "Periodic Table",
category:...
New
I’ve got trouble wrapping my head around the order in which functions are called in this snippet (from Phoenix’s authentication):
toke...
New
Other Trending Topics
Edit: 2026 May 15 - This post is archived.
Mob is alive!!
Main docs: mob v0.7.11 — Documentation
A bit of explanation for the slightly c...
New
Hey, I’m Jesse and I’m the main contributor behind Dexter, a full-featured, lightning-fast Elixir LSP optimized for large codebases. It s...
New
I am happy to introduce the very α version of the new programming language compiled to BEAM.
Welcome Cure.
It has literally three kille...
New
Hobbes is a low-level distributed database for the Elixir programming language.
Hobbes provides a simple, safe, and scalable storage lay...
New
Hi everyone!
The first release candidate for the Expert language server project is now available!
We’ve published a press release detai...
New
A little off-topic, but I feel like people here have a good head on their shoulders.
I used to be quite good at making software. Was luc...
New
Categories:
Sub Categories:
Forums
Popular Tags
- #ecto
- #liveview
- #troubleshooting
- #learning-elixir
- #library
- #deployment
- #erlang
- #testing
- #genserver
- #mix
- #absinthe
- #remote-other
- #otp
- #plug
- #how-to-question
- #macros
- #postgres
- #elixirconf
- #channels
- #exunit
- #discussion
- #code-sync
- #podcasts
- #javascript
- #onsite
- #dialyzer
- #docker
- #authentication
- #umbrella
- #full-time-contract
- #podcasts-by-brainlid
- #ai
- #ecto-query
- #elixirconf-us
- #blog-post
- #elixir-ls
- #phoenix_html
- #iex
- #graphql
- #genstage
- #websockets
- #supervisor
- #advent-of-code
- #distillery
- #processes
- #elixirconf-eu
- #api
- #forms
- #metaprogramming
- #hex











Showing Posts 1 to 2- Show Best Posts
- Show All (oldest first)
- Show All (newest first)
ggerico
After having read part of Programming Ecto (Pragmatic Bookshelf), I think that you should dig into Transactions and Multi.
Even if they haven’t explicitly said that
cast_assocdoesn’t support nested associations.ggerico
The
Children.changeset/2invoked bySalesItem.changeset/2has to invoke in turnsSalesItem.changeset/2if the children list of%SalesItemis not empty.You can use the pattern
[_ | _]to match non-empty lists. MADNESScredit to Dogbert pattern match a non empty list